This Disappears When Logged In

Ulysess My Rescue IG

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by dieselmatt02, Feb 11, 2010.

1. dieselmatt02

dieselmatt02 Well-Known Member

Well I promised a few new pictures of ulysess. Here's a few I recently uploaded to my photobucket.

This is how I find him most days...RELAXING!
    pictures034.jpg

He got to exploring the other evening and made it on to a suitcase we had in the corner. He kept going from that spot to his normal spot on the back of the chair near the computer.
    pictures033.jpg

I had U out for a while in the evening and found him sleeping on the chair back right before bedtime
    pictures036.jpg
    pictures029.jpg
    pictures038.jpg

Relaxing again
    pictures035.jpg

He's bulked up alot since I rescued him, he has a belly now. When we first got him he was very thin looking. He's on a good diet now of greens, veggies, and papya/mango
    pictures042.jpg

time to get out of the shower
    pictures039.jpg

He stopped for a close up on the way from the shower back to his habitat (this was from tonight)
    pictures043.jpg

Attached Files:

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

That last picture is amazing! He is a very beautiful iguana in his own way despite all he's gone through! He just looks like a cool guy!

3. dieselmatt02

Thanks! He's doing very well for what he went through before the wife and I rescued him. He's so calm and loves the attention. I though he would have been more aggressive after being attacked by a dog.

I caught that last pic at the right time. Right after I took the pic he started moving and bobbin the head.

4. dieselmatt02

I upgraded Ulysess's habitat this week. He's had a hard time going down the "branch" in the habitat, going up is easy for him. I bought a wire shelf from Home Depot and modified it to fit in his habitat so he can go up and down easier. Having one rear foot makes certain tasks hard for him to do like climbing down from some places.

He's been liking the 70-80* days we've been having lately. I let him roam around on the deck and sun for a while in the afternoon. He's more green now than brownish since he's been in the natural light. He's shedding alot too. His weight went from about 7 lbs to almost 10 lbs in the last month or so, he started out at the end of Janurary at 5.5 lbs. The Vet said he's improving alot and looking alot healthier now, She said he's getting into a good weight right now and feels he's more back to how he should be since he was emaciated when I got him. His poop check was good and his diet is very good! He eats like a cattle, a small scaley green one! He's normally eating two large plates full of greens, papaya, peppers, squash, snap peas, and various "good for him" veggies and fruits everyday.

5. MollyJ

MollyJ Elite Member

I can't believe he was only 5.5 lbs in Jan.! You've taken great care of him.

6. dieselmatt02

Well It's been a few months since I've updated this thread. Got some bad news about U, he had a prolapse of the rectum a few weeks ago. Took him to the vet and got him all fixed up. That had to stitch his vest partially shut so he wouldn't prolapse again. He pooped a little while he was stitched but not much, he also didn't eat as much for few days after the vet visit. After getting the stitches removed his appitite came back but only pooped the urates but now poop. He's been back to the vet and they can't find a blockage or a twist in the instestine. His blood work was normal too. The Dr said the only option right now is to open him up but he doesn't think it will do much. The vet thinks he might have a tumor or a cancer in him from the way the x-rays look. What ever it is, it's pushing on the intestine and pushing on his lungs too causing him to have a hard time breathing and pooping. He's still trying to eat like normal though. The dr called late last night and left a message saying he might have another option instead of surgery. I called back today and he was not in the office so I won't know anymore till tomorrow.

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

He sounds like he's been through alot, so he is a fighter. Hopefully everything will work out for the best. Good luck with Ulysess

8. okiron

okiron Elite Member

He's a gorgeous fellow. I hope everything turns out for the best. Sounds like he's had a great life since he met you.

9. dieselmatt02

Thanks! We're hoping we don't have to put him down at all. My wife and I love our Ig but due to certain circumstances we can't afford a huge surgery bill right now. The dr isn't even positive that he can fix U after he opens him up especially if it's a cancer related issue. I trust this vet alot too, a very good herp vet and is highly recomended.

The vet and I were talking yesterday and he said that he feels Ulysess has had a better life in the last 6 months than he has had in the past 5 or so years.

10. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Just take comfort that YOU have been his Godsend all these months!

If at else fails, It is always better to die in the hands of friends! Bless You!

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

That's so sad about U and I hope he recovers. Has he been getting lots of natural sunlight? I feel like that always helps out something.

Even if he passes, you can rest assured you gave him the best time of his life and he passes in loving arms.

12. dieselmatt02

Oh yeah he gets a lot of natural sunlight. Everyday afterwork if it's not raining I go outside and bring him with. He sits on the deck rail and watches me water the vegetables in the garden. He's usually outside for at least an hour everyday sometimes longer or shorter. He lets me know when it's time to go back inside, he'll jump off the deck rail and go sit by the back door.

Thanks for the kind word too, i feel good knowing that he's been having a better life with me even though it might have to be cut short.

13. dieselmatt02

U had a good day today, he actually passed some fecal matter today. Not alot but it's the first he's passed in a longtime. For awhile he was only pooping the white urates and today there was some actually poop. He did this three times today. The last time he pooped he passed what looked like an undigested piece of greens. After he did that his attitude improved alot. He's still not eating much and not pooping much. Gonna call the vet tomorrow after work and tell him what Ulysess did today.

14. schlegelbagel

poop is a step in the right direction

15. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Yep, A regular poop is a good sign small or not.

16. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

That is awesome! My first iguana had a prolapse, the vet was not an herp vet and he literally did the surgery with the instruction book open next to him. My point being, my Gojera lived to be 10 healthy, giant years old. Iguana's are fighters, naturally (good or bad :) ). Give him some more time, and give him some good, warm baths. Iguanas can do some amazing things & pull some amazing things off.

17. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Reading all this and feeling it with you for Uly. You have done a wonderful job with him and whatever happens you can be at peace with yourself about it.

I sure hope he recovers completely! Keep us posted.

18. dieselmatt02

After a few days of observation I can tell that U is alot better. He is now pooping regularly and eating normal. He's definatley back to being himself too. I called the vet and gave him and update and the vet ( a herp vet) is excited that he's doing well and wants to see U in a few weeks for a weight check to see if he is re-gaining weight that he lost.

19. schlegelbagel

That is such good news. Sounds like he had something to get out of his system and he finally worked it free. Keep up the good work. :)

20. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

Yay!!!