This Disappears When Logged In

Ulysess My Rescue IG

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by dieselmatt02, Feb 11, 2010.

1. dieselmatt02

dieselmatt02 Well-Known Member

Here are a few pictures of Ulysses. I rescued him about 2 weeks ago. I already posted one pic of him but here are few more.

Ride home from the Vet I rescued him from. He really like basking on the seat of my truck.
    pictures015.jpg

The injured foot.
    pictures016.jpg
    pictures018.jpg

His nose (It is getting a lot better since I rescued him)
    pictures022.jpg

Doing his normal relaxing thing (sleeping and a shower)
    pictures024.jpg
    pictures027.jpg

Sitting on my shoulder
    pictures.jpg

Since I rescued him he has gained weight, is eating regularly and eating a better diet. He is now eating a diet consisting mainly of collard, mustard, and turnip greens. He does get carrots, bell peppers, and butter nut squash too. Still in the middle of building a permanent enclosure for him. He has become a very big craver of attention!

Only thing I need to address is his pooping. he will not poop in his current enclosure. He will poop outside of it on the floor or in the tub. It's been a few years since I owned an Ig. So I would like some advice on potty training an adult Ig.

Attached Files:

2. MollyJ

MollyJ Elite Member

I try to get my guy into the tub every day, if I don't get to him soon enough he'll go in the middle of the room. When it's warm and he's out in his cage I'll go gently spray him with the hose so I can get him to go when I'm out there to clean it up. He has a big water dish in the cage, but he usually wants to just poop on his shelf. Have you tried putting something in his cage for his own little tub though? A lot of other iguanas seem to use their tubs everyday. If you want him to use one to go potty in you could put him in it everyday and pour warm water over his back and base of his tail to encourage him to poo, and he'll probably start going to the tub every time he needs to poop from then on. Slowly rubbing either side of his tail (if he doesn't get ticked off at you for it) to make him wiggle it back and forth can encourage him to go too.

3. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I'm glad he's doing so much better! He eats better than I do! LOL Well, all my animals do too (including the feeder insects). You are an awesome person for giving him a second chance in a home he deserves.

4. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

I agree with Orca, what you are doing is wonderful. He is looking absolutely fantastic! It sucks that he is missing a foot, but he still seems fine for the wear. Don't worry about him not wanting to poop in his cage, some igs are just finicky. Baths, shower, linoleum flooring, water tub, all fabulous options.

5. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

This is a heartwarming event for all of us who are here getting to know Ulysses and how you rescued him! What a lucky guy he is!!!

6. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

Do you know how he lost his foot??

7. dieselmatt02

The vet that was housing Ulysess and had him up for adoption said he was turned into a local zoo by his former owner. The zoo was told he was attacked by the families dog. The zoo then handed Ulysess over to the vet I adopted him from. The vet I got him from specializes in herps and various small reptiles, animals, amphibians along with cats and dogs too. He's a very good vet, popular around the area and actually is not over priced with his services. My parents take their dogs to that vet and thats how I found out about Ulysess being up for adoption.

Thanks for the compliments!! The wife and I are very happy to have him as a pet and look forward to seeing him heal and get back to a normal/better life!

He is different compared to the Ig I owned 10 years ago. Alot calmer and cleaner. My old ig use to poop his cage for the longest time and would poop in a "litter box"after he got older. Ulysess only poops in the tub and pooped once on the bathroom floor. It's alot easier when it comes to cage cleaning with him not pooping in it.

I started on building his permenent enclosure today. I have all the frame work done. My next step is to build doors for the front and them cover it with plywood on all side except the doors. The doors will be either plexi, lexan, or glass. He's in his temporary setup now for a few days/weeks until I get the permenent one finished. I will have pictures of it after I finish the enclosure.

8. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would suggest going with glass. It will be cheaper and both plexi and lexan will scratch very easily even in the cleaning.
    When I made mine I used plexiglass for the doors and they are cloudy and difficult to see thru. And the places where Zok can get close to them and scratch to be let out are awful!

10. dieselmatt02

Thanks for the input, I'll go with using glass in the doors.

No major update with the cage yet aside from the framing being all complete. I've been busy the last few days and only worked on it for an hour the other night. Did some sanding, anything he can get to was sanded smooth so no chance of getting injured or cut. I'll have more time to work on it tomorrow night and should be done by the end of the week.

Ulysess became fond of the new furniture the wife and I bought yesterday. He really likes the new book shelf, as soon as I got done assmbling it he walked off the back of the couch and wanted to climb up it. It was hard for him to climb since it's smooth soi placed a blanket up top and lifted him up. I even got a heat lamp out with his UVB bulb and hung it above so he can bask. I told my wife the book case is now his!

Here he is keeping watch from up high.
    pictures012-1.jpg
    pictures011-1.jpg
    pictures010-1.jpg
    pictures013-1.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

From that last set of pics, He looks like his tail had been broken off at some point in the past and it regrew.(The first pic in the series)

It's great that he has a safe place to stay now and someone to care for him!

I'm not so sure about you naming him "Ulysess"! Ugh!!!
    It's funny, I had just settled on the name for my Ig that I have. I've had him for about 3 years now but thought that he was a she until recently.lol
    But it's funny that is was just about a week ago tthat I finally decided to name him GENERAL LEE!!!! Ha! lol

Down here in Georgia instead of saying,"Ulysses S. Grant", we say "Useless S. Grant". LOL

Oh well, I suppose that it is good that you didn't name him W.T. Sherman! They're still a few down here that are still sore about him burning Atlanta!

I'm just joking around! I'm glad that you took him in regardless of his name!

I wouldn't worry about the foot at all, he still has most of the pad to push off with. I've seen worse.

As far as carrots go, I have heard mixed opinions. Maybe the experts can answer for sure. I read one book that sas that they are great as far as vitamins go, but somehow interefere with calcium absorbtion.

12. dieselmatt02

Yeah his tail had broken off and started regrowing. He has about 8 inches of his original tail still and about 12 inches of the regrown tail.

The bulk of his diet has been consisting of collard greens, mustard greens, and turnip greens. I do add butternut squash,acorn squash, bell pepper, mango, and papaya to his food too. I went to the Green Iguana Society website right after I got him home to see what veggies and greens were the best for his diet.

I've also got a copy of Green Iguana - The Ultimate Owner's Manual coming this week. I figured I should get some updated information, I have a few older books that are probably ok but I've seen the Ultimate Owners Manual is highly recommended.

13. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Do you like him pooping in the tub? Its easy to clean. I know Lacey on the board, throws her Ig into the tub every morning, he poops, she lets him out. No poop, no out.

14. dieselmatt02

I like him pooping in the tub, it's alot easier to clean up. We have an extra bathroom that the wife and I don't use to often so that tub is for him to bathe and poop in. He poops everytime he's in the tub, he goes in the tub before he's allowed to roam. I don't want to be cleaning up poop on the floor or furiture.

15. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Honestly, Mr. U. has just got to be the luckiest iguana in the world.

He looks terrific!!!

Good for you for going all out to make him feel at home with you.

16. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

What a beauty!

17. dieselmatt02

Thanks!

Update on Ulysses condition. He shed the skin off the injured leg, the scab came off with it and it is looking very good. The big scab on his nose came off tonight, he's got some scarring and it's a little deformed but he'll do fine. It's alot better than I thought it was gonna end up. Been applying neosporin to his wounded areas since the rescue, helped out alot on the healing. His appetite is also getting bigger, seems like he's eating more each day.

I ordered a copy of James Hatfields "Green Iguana: the Ultimate Owners Manual" on Monday. Got it in today and have been reading it this evening. All I can say it that it's one heck of a book, alot of info to be read in it! I've kept Ig's before and had books on them but this one beats them all!

Got a few pics of U's nose I took tonight I'll post later once I get them on to Photobucket.

18. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

So good to see how well he is doing! Thanks to you.

I am going to get a copy of that book too, I will ask my daughter in Florida to send it for me!

19. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

that is an amazing book its fun to read as well.

20. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Don't worry about his physical "Appearence" too much. They don't care about how they look! LOL