This Disappears When Logged In

Uhh

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Katsura, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

I don't even know what to call this post sorry

I feel sick and I am extremely upset and I don't know what's going on and I am panicking.

I have a baby corn snake. He was up and fine and acting totally normal up until a day ago. I went to go feed him and everything is just wrong and getting worse.

I opened up his tub to feed him and I noticed that he had some stuck shed on him, so I picked him up and it was just wrong.

He was unresponsive. Did not really move, no tongue flicking, nothing. I thought maybe he was cold but I checked the temps and they were fine (added that he didn't feel even remotely cool when I picked him up). I thought maybe he was dehydrated (I have a thing of water in there for him but I have never seen him go anywhere near it - I know snakes do things in "secret" but due to the bad shed it seemed rational).

So I put him in some lukewarm water and still nothing. No reaction, no attempt to drink, nothing. He made some very slight, weak movements so I know he wasn't dead.

I bumped his heat and cleaned his tank but still nothing.

I kept an eye on him but I had to go to work. When I came home I checked on him and still no change. I have been keeping an eye on him constantly and he developed what looks like a kink in his neck; it was bent to one side. Still little reaction. I just checked on him again and his whole body is doing the same thing now; curling up. Not like normal snake curling but like odd not natural stiff looking curling.

I don't know what to do. obviously he needs to go to the vet and I should have done it in the first place but honestly I don't even know if he is still alive. That curling looks far too painful and abnormal for him to still be alive? So I don't know?

What am I supposed to do? What's going on? I am also extremely worried because I have a bunch of other snakes to worry about...

I really feel sick I don't know what this is or why it happened or anything.

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

enclosure and lighting and heating environment info and pics of enclosure and snake would better help recognize any problems

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I dont have the faintest clue as to what is really going on. It sounds though like he is in the process of moving on from this life. As hard as it is to say it, I think you might want to consider humanely euthanizing him. There is no reason to let him suffer.

Im terribly sorry to hear about this, I know you love your snakes and take great care of them. You've done the best you can.

4. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Well I checked on him this morning, was getting ready to rush him to the vet...

He's gone.

I feel absolutely terrible. I don't know what happened. I am considering taking him to the vet to get him autopsied to make sure he doesn't have anything that could have been passed onto my other snakes... :(

Poor baby... I'm sorry :(

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Poor Katsura, you are not having an easy time of it.

I would definitely get him autopsied as you are knowledgeable enough in snakes that I doubt this was a temp or humidity issue. It could have been a genetic thing maybe but still best to see what the vet can find out.

6. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Im sorry for your loss! Im sure he was well cared for while he was here and you did the best you could. Dont be too hard on yourself

7. SolidSnake1

SolidSnake1 Member

This is sad news indeed, sounds like you had several issues, Temps, humidity just for starters. Small snakes like baby corns can be tough at first, add improper settings and things can go south quickly.

I am so sorry to hear for your loss.

8. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

sorry to hear about your snake......

9. poomwah

poomwah Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss

10. lisas

lisas Elite Member

I am sorry for your loss. It's a hard thing and you're not alone in your pain.

11. boidaesplace

boidaesplace Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear what happened! Hope it's not a bad time to say it, but it's a good lesson as well, although nothing may have been able to help, at the same time we've learned from experience that at the very first sign of anything unusual, if we're not absolutely sure, we go straight to the vet. Anyone who has been dealing with reptiles for anytime goes through these tragedies (and it is hard, we love our little friends!), but we learn and continue to enjoy them! Again, so sorry to hear, especially since we are going through problems with one of our balls, our condolences!