This Disappears When Logged In

U. Ornata [6/11/12]

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Vers, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Vers

Vers Elite Member

haha...she and I currently have an understanding, that is she will sit still as long as I sit still. She used to allow me to slip my hand beneath her and pick her up for weigh-ins, but apparently she decided against it these days. I've got a feeling my dog, Logan, has played a role in her more recent skittishness--at least the nose/paw prints and scratches on the face of her enclosure point towards this. The male, on the other hand, has always been the more tolerant of the two. I've had a few setbacks with him, but he always comes back around.

2. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Here is an updated video of my nephew and I feeding my female...
    [video=youtube;dbMYsAXHlkw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbMYsAXHlkw&feature=*********[/video]
    ...She's still skittish.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. troymclure

troymclure Elite Member

nice. mine will rarely come out of her hides when shedding.

4. justor

justor Elite Member

Great video!

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Thanks, guys.

6. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Here are a few shots of my female from today compared to a frame from November...
    Nov...
    8150918992_580ed1ba47_c.jpg
    Today...
    8534139343_fd21eac1a0_c.jpg
    8534151863_6d2329a8c2_c.jpg
    8535264222_146a081945_c.jpg
    8535241726_a4a6d82d9d_c.jpg
    Since spring is right around the corner she's been power feeding and putting on weight...now she just needs to shed off all that drab skin.

Attached Files:

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

My male...
    [video=youtube;32vw_EYjWwk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32vw_EYjWwk[/video]

8. justor

justor Elite Member

The female is looking pretty sexy with those turquoise colors coming in. And the male, well it goes without saying, but man he's got some outstanding color! What is the powdery stuff he's licking off the plate?

9. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Yeah man, she's coloring up more than I thought she would...I'm hoping she keeps it up! As for the "powdery stuff" (lol) its ground mazuri tortoise pellets...aka Uro-crack.

10. justor

justor Elite Member

Ahh, I see. I just got some mazuri for my iguana and he loves it too. Except I soak it then mash it up a little.

11. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I offer it both ways, dry in a bowl or sprinkled on fresh rinsed greens where it absorbs moisture and becomes almost a cream of wheat consistency. They love it either way.

12. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Your lizards always look well fed and happy. Nice job! Haha the male in the video is a looker for sure. I'm glad he started to get those pesky nose-sheds out they were bothering me I just wanted I pull them off ;p

13. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Thanks, Tyler. I think the shed you're referring to was snalt.

14. troymclure

troymclure Elite Member

mine wont touch it, wet, dry, ground, whole. how did you get them eating it?

15. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

You're welcome. Oh interesting I thought they were just little nostril sheds. Do Uros produce a lot of snalt?

16. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Troy, I just offered it dry in a small dish with a few millet seeds at first...they took to eating it right away.

Tyler, it depends on what they had eaten the previous day--food items containing salts or potassium will produce it.

17. Vers

Vers Elite Member

A couple images of my scruffy looking male...
    8539370067_b2cdda068d_c.jpg
    8539358359_95daf29b00_c.jpg
    8540467428_4ff9bfb3b0_c.jpg
    8540482838_b82e987b33_c.jpg
    You can see the blue beneath the shed...
    8539373587_8042f8022e_c.jpg

Attached Files:

18. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Today, after a night of being violently ill, I decided to try and reintroduce my two ornates just to see what would happen. She charged him immediately and after about 2 seconds he had her in his grip. Within a minute they were locked. I've heard of pairing issues with this species, but apparently I lucked out.
    8648045321_90b80a056d_c.jpg

Next step...eggs :)

Attached Files:

19. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Here is a little short video of the copulation...
    [video=youtube;WosN1K_Ryfo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WosN1K_Ryfo[/video]

20. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

That copulating looks boring as ****. lol Their colors look so vibrant matt, pretty cool. Is this your first stint with breeding? Hope you feel better.

Random Observation: your reptile room sounds like a Lucas film.