This Disappears When Logged In

Two New Tanks, What to Do With Them

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Arikun, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Arikun

Arikun Elite Member

So I just bought these two tanks with extras from Craigslist. I am wondering what to do next. One is a 50-55Gal and the other is a 30Gal or so. My boyfriend wants fish one day and so do I, Should I keep the smaller 30G for fish or the much larger 50-55G?
    The big tank came with its stand, so turning it on it's short side seems like a waste of a perfectly fine stand..maybe my other tanks; 10, 20 and 30 will all fit in some way on it? If I do turn the big tank to frog heaven, how should I do it, what to add, what kinda pond, etc?
    Also, I got a small exo tera filter, large driftwood, 2 medium sized fake water weeds and a pack of little sliders to sit the stand on for easy moving. I'm thinking the filter is missing something. I will upload a pic later of it.
    What should I do with the 30G if it becomes for the frogs?
    If I go with fish, with either tank, what do I need?
    Both tanks.
    l_8f68b651d56e431ba4620632b6267b37.jpg
    Up close.
    l_5a347e324a004b5e89fa8c9051f3d746.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Re: Two New Tanks, What to Do With Them?!

One thing I would suggest no matter what you decide to do is take them outside and THEN fill them with water. A lot of tanks end up on craigslist because they are leakers.
    55 gallons is a lot of water to try to get out of a carpet!

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Which tank you devote to fish depends entirely on what kind of fish you're looking at getting. Fish tanks can cost a bit to get up and running, the bigger the more expensive. Check both to see if they hold water first, like the wise wizard said. That might dictate your next step.

4. Arikun

Arikun Elite Member

Yea I was going to do that after I scrubbed them clean. But I guess, since my BF doesn't know when he wants fish, I can use both for frogs and later get another tank for fish.

5. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

All the answers to all your questions depend on what types of frogs or fish you want to keep. once you determine that, then we can suggest how to arrange everything.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm looking to rehome my 2 Oscars, and that 55 would be far more suited than my 46, lol.

7. Arikun

Arikun Elite Member

Lets say I wanted the bigger tank for fish. I don't need beginner fish, had fish years ago and had to give them up because the tank started leaking, but the ones on the hardier side would be nice. Medium amount of color, small size(1-4in), not ones that really need to be in groups of more than 4, freshwater that can live in cooler water even when heated. What kinda fish are out there that would fit generally speaking?

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Leaking tanks can be fixed. Just cut out the strip of silicone that's leaking and replace.

I'd do some window shopping in a good quality (not petsmart) aquarium shop. See what tickles your fancy and talk to the guy who really seems to know what he's doing about their requirements.

For instance, we inherited a 55 gallon with everything, and I REALLY wanted a pair of discuss fish... until I found out about their care and how picky they are.

9. Arikun

Arikun Elite Member

Btw, the filter I got with the tanks is a ZooMed TC-20, 30 to 55gal.

10. schlegelbagel

Hmm, underpowered turtle filter. As long as the water side you made, was as deep as the filter, it would work find for frogs. I wouldn't trust it for turtles though.

Also, be sure to bleach the life out of it. Kill any nasties that may be lurking. Pick up new filter media for it too.

11. Arikun

Arikun Elite Member

Yea, I don't think I'd do a good job sealing it, I also wouldn't trust it. It also has chips on the edges.

Yea, I was going to stick it in the sink first and see if it even works. Petco has the media for $5, hopefully it tells me where what goes. Theres only one long blue thing in there.

It works.

Angel fish, Pleco, Coroydoras catfish, Loach, large Tetras, Rainbow sharks; they all have very similar water temp needs, don't know about other water needs though. Not very aggressive and most places and charts say they can live together, what do you guys think?

12. Arikun

Arikun Elite Member

Pleco, Coroydoras Catfish, Loach, Large Tetras, Rainbow Shark, some of these guys will be used in the 55g if it holds water. The driftwood that came with it smells slightly salty, how can I get the salt out or is the minimal amount ok for the freshwater fish? I keep reading that you should add some salt to them also, is that true? Also, I am sorry for any confusion today about the tanks.

13. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

fresh water salt is different than salt water fish salt.

Cory cat fish are neat I have 2, plecos are a lot of work. They need special foods they are sold as algea eatters but don't do well on algea. some even eat other fish.

I really like plain old goldfish some get big (comet or feeder goldfish) though so watch out for that. But fan tails stay semi small.

Platys are pretty I think, you can get a bunch of different colors.

I really like betas too, you can get a few female betas or one male beta don't mix them but both are pretty and are good community fish most of the time some males get fiesty though.

14. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Yes you should add freshwater aquarium salt to the specifications on the box.

15. schlegelbagel

Freshwater aquarium salt is just Mortons with a fancy box and price tag. I can't remember the ratio, but its something like a tsp. per gallon. We just dump a bunch in with each water change.

*note* Salt should NOT be used if you have a planted tank.

16. Arikun

Arikun Elite Member

Yea, I plan on putting in real plants and the works. Right now I'm having issues with driftwood not sinking. Bogwood also has issues sinking, that's what I read, so no point of getting that. Any wood that actually sinks with little to no issues?

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

To get your wood to sink, immerse it in a container of water and weigh it down with a rock to hold it under till it becomes soaked. Depending on the size of the piece it may take anywhere from 3-4 days on up.
    Or you can also get a large piece of slate and drill a hole in it and fasten it to the wood to hold it down.

18. Arikun

Arikun Elite Member

It's about 3ft long and 4in radius. It's a half circle with the core taken out, so it looks like a bubble letter C if you would cut a segment out. It's been sitting 2 days so far, I used a suction cup to hold it down about an inch from the surface. Nothings happening though..If it doesn't sink, I'm thinking of suspending it a few inches from the bottom against the back wall. Is there any other kinda wood that will sink with little effort?

19. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I would respectfully suggest that someone new to this aspect of fish keeping measure the salt used.

People don't always remove the proper amount of water, one can have a build up of salts, the species of fish may be semi-brackish or really not prefer salt at all like neon tetras, etc.

While table salt is aquarium salt plus other additives (iodine, anti-caking, etc) - I recommend buying a box the first time out and keeping the instructions around after you've used it up.

I have seen things go wrong when people need to medicate their tanks, etc.

20. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

I personally would up the salt content to brackish and keep a spotted puffer! Those are nice fish to look at, they have great personalities as well. I don't think they are communal though, and beware if you buy a small one, they are weak swimmers and get sucked into filters VERY easily. Remedy that by tieing a bit of netting around the filter intake.