This Disappears When Logged In

Two Heat Mats?

Discussion in 'Heating' started by MorganLeFay, Mar 11, 2015.

1. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Hi,
    Since the sizes of heat mats available in my area are a bit crazy and don't really fit my enclosure dimensions, I was thinking of putting 2 small heat mats under the tank (there's no way to put them inside) next to each other instead of just one big one. So I have 2 questions: first, is it safe to put the heat mats directly between the glass bottom and the wooden shelf (the tank isn't elevated), and second: since I can't find perfect sizes anywhere, the mats would have to come in direct contact with each other - in fact they'd overlap by about 1.5 inches. Is this safe, given the lack of airflow under the tank and the weight of the enclosure pressing down on the mats? Or would it, in the long run, incinerate my flat?;) I'm not 100% sure about this idea but I need to do something about those damned temps.

Thanks in advance

2. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

OK, forget it:), I've decided against 2 mats. Sorry, I'm kind of in the midst of things and I keep changing my mind every 2 mins, so bear with:) Anyway, I've just found this heat mat on the Internet, and it's 40x40cm (25 Watts). Now, my enclosure has a base of 80x40cm, so this mat would pretty much cover half of it. I've heard numerous times that a heat pad shouldn't cover more than 30-35% of the surface, so theoretically this one should be out, but it's really the closest I could find to what I need, all the other ones I looked at where either super long and narrow or small and square (I have one like that now and it's not very efficient). Anyway, I figured it's easier to cool a viv than to heat it, and I'm really on the verge of buying it, but I'd like to hear your opinions. It's quite expensive and I wouldn't want to waste money on sth useless. Should I get it or is it too much?

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I've always been leery of trapping heat in a small space.
    I would recommend some small spacers. They used to give them in the package with the stick on heat mats.
    In my limited memory, I don't recall what reptile is in the tank. But I do know that most people that use radiant heat panels much prefer them to the mats.

4. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Hmm. I've never heard of radiant heat panels for vivariums, I'm not even sure they exist in my country/town:), so I guess I'll have to risk the mat after all. I just hope it works out :s

5. kriminaal

6. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

OMG those are genius! But I've never seen them in shops in my area. And the price O_O The smallest one would cost me a month's worth of my student allowance :'(

7. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

OK, I have another question. Can the spacers be placed directly on the heat mat? Or is point pressure bad? I'm on the verge of buying the thing, but it would cover exactly half of my shelf, so there would be no space under the tank for the spacers, unless I put them on the mat itself. Can I do this?

8. kriminaal

I wouldn't think that would an issue.

9. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

I didn't either, but then someone pointed out to me that the pressure could damage the electric wires inside...But anyway, I've found one other mat that is a tad narrower, so I think I'll get that one. The large one would probably overheat the tank in no time, especially as I don't have a thermostat.