This Disappears When Logged In

Turtle Health

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Broken_Lyrix, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broken_Lyrix

Broken_Lyrix Elite Member

Ok, so I got a new friend for Eivey, and I am kind of concerned about his/her health. I am going to take some pictures of his shell, and if you have any input please let me know

2. Broken_Lyrix

These are the new pictures of "Izzy" I think will be the name lol

Attached Files:

3. Broken_Lyrix

It's the wrinkled shell that is the issue, sorry I couldn't get any better pictures.

4. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't know about the shell, but wanted to chime in with a suggestion that we make for any new additions, but especially since you are worried he might be sick... You really want to keep the new turtle separate from Eivey for at least 30 days. If you put them in the same tank and the new one is sick it could pass what it has on to Eivey.

5. Broken_Lyrix

I got them from the same place. so if he has anything, Eivey already has it. Their tanks are deplorable, I don't think they ever clean them, which is why when I went today to look, I just had to bring the poor little goober home, I almost bought both, but to have three turtles for 30 or 40 years...I don't really know.

6. fire2225ems

Even coming from the same place it would have been best to quarantine the new guy. You don't know what he has been exposed to in the time that you have had Eivey. Or even if he was actually in the tank with her when you got her...

7. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Is the spot soft or mooshy? I would go with the starting of shell rot, but the pictures are not all that great. Can you get some closer up of the spot?

8. Broken_Lyrix

Not soft or mooshy, I also can't get a closer shot...at least not until this afternoon, I work this morning. I just checked on here because I am concerned. Thanks. What can I do about shell rot?

9. nicole

nicole Elite Member

For the most part, with shell rot on the sliders, the way I have had to treat them is a trip to the Vet of course. That is usually followed with them drilling the rot out of their shell, dry tanking them, injectable antibiotics if it is really bad, and Chlorhexidine soaks. All of the above needs to be done by a Vet, you obviously would not want to be drilling into your turtles shell. The injections they can show you how to do it, and then you can do that at home. Shell rot on a slider is not a quick and easy treatment. It can take months of dry tanking them. I would definitely suggest a Vet visit.

10. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I agree with Nicole, I just took one in, the shell was so bad we named it "Brillo" like the scrubbing pads. UVB and D3 supplements are essential as well.

11. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Oh my goodness, lol, I cannot believe I forgot to mention that. UVB and the supplements are an absolute must.

12. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

While I agree with what everyone has suggested and most certainly a Vet visit is necessary; I think you can do some things at home.

As Jay and Nicole pointed out, a good UVB source and supplements will only help the little guy heal faster. They should already be under a good UV source as it is a requirement of turtle husbandry.

Good luck, I hope the turtle makes it.

13. Broken_Lyrix

I believe that he is getting better. Since I put him in the tank his shell has gotten better, I think it is clean water and a good light source. I intend to watch him, and hope for the best, if however he doesn't continue to improve I will see if there are any herp Vets around here....I don't think there are though.

14. fire2225ems

15. Broken_Lyrix

Actually I got in touch with a herp vet today. Thankfully there is one really close to where I live. The turtles are doing really well though, I don't think the petstore had the right light source for them, they are adapting well. I just have to wait for "Iggy" as I have decided to call him, to get used to my house.

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Not all turtles have flawless shells, and it's quite natural for some of them to have quirks and "deformities" that distinguish them (much like people) A wrinkle isn't an issue, though it might make it difficult for the lamina of the shell to shed, so keep an eye on that, as unshed lamina can make a harbor for stuff to grow that can cause lesions on the shell, which can become shell rot.

17. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'd consider talking to the shop. I applaud you for removing a turtle out of that condition. But if they sold it to you, they made money on their poor care and will just replace the turtle you bought with another one starting the cycle all over again. Perhaps printing out a few caresheets and highlighting the essentials.

18. Broken_Lyrix

I have been thinking about that, I doubt they would take my advice, but I have been thinking of mentioning it to them anyways. Thanks all for your advice I appreciate it.

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The sad truth is that most pet shops are in it for the buck. Very few care about the health of the animal, fewer yet could tell you much about it. They take no precautions to make sure the customer is informed. I consider them one of the major contributing factors of irresponsible pet ownership. Anybody can buy any animal, but very few people bother to do their research beforehand, and there are some animals that should not be available to everyone. I have yet to find a pet shop that will advise me that a most turtles will outlive people. I have seen one case of misinformation, where the pet shop in question (through ignorance or deliberately) telling someone a Sulcata Tortoise would not get very big...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.