This Disappears When Logged In

Turtle Has Been Painted-Help!

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by jenlyn3392, Jun 15, 2010.

1. jenlyn3392

jenlyn3392 New Member

We just found a box turtle in the backyard and some idiot has painted the entire shell with a metallic green paint. Can I safely remove this? I know enough not to use chemicals, but am not sure how to go about getting this off. Once he's been cleaned up I'm going to take him to work and release him into our protected courtyard. It's a huge outdoor area with a pond and plenty of vegetation. He'll be safe there:) Unless anyone has other suggestions? I'm right off a main highway so releasing him anywhere near here probably wouldn't be a good idea.....

2. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Good question! I don't know what might work, since we don't know what kind of paint. I do wonder if there are any fingerprints in the paint, not that anything legal could be done :rolleyes:. I guess I would start with baby soap and water... Mineral oil may work too.

3. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Googled the problem and found this advice:
    Step 1

Hold the tortoise gently on your lap and put a small amount of organic hand scrub on part of the painted area. Use only hand scrubs containing natural ingredients such as ground pumice or nut shells.

Step 2

Rub a dish-scrubbing pad against the hand scrub in a gentle, circular motion. This should begin to rasp off the paint. Once most of the paint is removed, rinse the area well with warm water.

Step 3

Clean large areas one square inch at a time. After cleaning about three square inches, rinse the turtle and let it rest. This will help prevent the tortoise from becoming stressed or irritated from the scrubbing.

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Try getting some OrangeGlo cleanser, if I am not mistaken (someone correct me if I am), it is mostly citrus oil and it should be alright for animals especially if it is on the shell. It is best to turn the little guy back as close to where you found him/her as possible. He may have a home set up already and turning him loose elsewhere may be detrimental to his health. IF the courtyard is well protected and animals can't get in to bother the turtle it should be ok, just check on him from time to time to give us progress updates.

5. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Noticed Kazooguyz2's answer- we must have been posting at the same time. I would go with his option first as it sounds more promising. Good luck!!!!! ;)

6. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Could you post pics of this? Maybe some pics also if it came off. I have no idea what to tell you for advice except that poor turtle! Good luck.

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Poor little guy! How big is he?
    I think that Kazooguyz2's way would be the best and safest way to rid him of the paint. Good luck with the little one.

8. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Update????