This Disappears When Logged In

Turtle Eggs

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by GiftigeSpinne, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GiftigeSpinne

GiftigeSpinne Elite Member

I was four wheeling and I noticed that there was an unusual hole in the ground and I had seen many turtles in the area. My dad and I stopped and checked it out and sure enough someting had dug up a turtle nest and there were quite a few eggs broken and eaten. the eggs are about 1.5 inches in diameter, white and are perfectly round like ping pong balls. they were laid about 6 inches into the ground. All that I have seen around that area are painted turtles and snappers. What would your best guesses be on what they are and what would be the best way to incubate the eggs and later take care of the turtles or re introduce them back intoo the wild?

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Using her hind legs, she digs a nest 4 to 6 inches (10-15 cm) deep in the soil in which she lays 5 to 15 eggs. It may seem
    strange that an aquatic turtle lays its eggs on land. However, this is a requirement for all reptiles; their shelled eggs would
    drown if laid under water. Covering the nest, she packs down the loose soil with her body. She may pack the soil for quite a
    distance in order to confuse predators. Having finished her maternal duties, the mother turtle returns to her aquatic home.
    The ten week incubation is not a safe time for the turtles in the eggs although they are buried. During incubation the leathery,
    roundish eggs may be found and eaten by foxes, skunks, raccoons or other animals. The nest may also be flooded during
    heavy rains and the eggs washed away, or the eggs may dry out if they are not buried deep enough. The incubation
    temperature of the eggs determines the sex of the turtle hatchlings. About two-thirds of the hatchlings will be male if the eggs
    are kept at 82 degrees F (28 degrees C), two-thirds of the hatchlings will be female if the temperature is kept above 86
    degrees F (30 degrees C) and a temperature between 82 and 86 degrees F (82-30 degrees C) will produce mixed male and
    female clutches.

Hope that helps

3. GiftigeSpinne

Thank you very much. Do you have any ideas of how long it may take for the eggs to fully develope and hatch? I am guessing they are young becasue there were many turtles digging thier nests.

4. mshrmheadcharge

I believe it takes 10 weeks or so...how developed were the broken eggs? or was there anything left of them?

5. GiftigeSpinne

there was nothing left all there was a broken egg shell.

6. mshrmheadcharge

Hmm...well if alot of turts are laying you said Im sure they cant be too old, and the fact that there was any eggs left shows they couldnt have been there long so I say expect them to hatch in no less the 8 weeks...BTW they lay eggs between May and July..so they could be older then what I said...

7. GiftigeSpinne

okay ill keep that in mind. Thanks alot, ill update any info on them frequently.

8. mshrmheadcharge

Youre welcome :D Im glad I could be of some help..and good luck with them!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.