This Disappears When Logged In

Turtle And Fishy Problem

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Kornel, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Kornel

Kornel Active Member

Hey guys, I own a baby diamondback turtle and a juvenile yellowbelly slider .I am ordering a Fluval FX4 Friday and welcoming home my 2 adult pair of leopard geckos .The problem is I want to also go back to freshwater fish.But I have never tried fish with turtles .The specific fish I want to go back to are cichlids maybe some Oscars ,Firemouth cichlid,green Terrors and then some mix of African Cichlids .I am aware that some might be eaten but I really want to get back in the fish water fish hobby after I took a break from it due to a devastating outbreak of camallanus worms which caused me to crash the tank losing alot of money .What is the best way I go with this .I know the fish need to be fast.

2. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

Anything you put in a tank with turtles is fair game to be eaten. I wouldn't put anything too expensive with them.
    When you get the fish, remove the turtles for a few hrs, while the turtle are out, add the fish.
    The turtles will likely still try to eat them, but if you just dropped them in, you are pretty much ringing a dinner bell

3. Kornel

Kornel Active Member

I will probably feed them remove them and add the fish or just wait till they are sleeping

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

However as you probably know the cichlids are very aggressive and will likely attack the turtles as they grow and they will grow much faster than the turtles.

5. Kornel

Kornel Active Member

That's true but then the turtles won't think twice about trying to eat them

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

The honest answer here is that this is a bad idea. If you want to get back into fish that much then get another tank, no matter how you do this either the fish will end up as food, or they may end up harassing the turtles. Not trying to be rude, but there really is no way to make this work.

7. Kornel

Kornel Active Member

Lol ur not rude I expected a answer like that .

8. Kornel

Kornel Active Member

Update on the tank.I added in 2 Blood Peacock African Cichlids to the tank bumped the pH up a little .The turtles have not even tried to eat them it's like to the turtles the fish were never there.The peacocks I chose are said to be mildly aggressive they are settling in the tank good and have not shown any aggression to the turtles they even swim by the turtles .They all are well the turtles are still being turtles and basking .