This Disappears When Logged In

Tubs and Ball Pythons?

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by alpine, Sep 26, 2012.

1. alpine

alpine Elite Member

So I have asked another forum this same question and got varying responses. Can ball pythons be comfortable in large sized tubs, I mean VERY large, the largest I can buy... I elaborate because on another forum, I mentioned them and one of the other members kind of jumped down my throat and I'd like there to not be any misunderstandings before we start this thread. So what do people think of these?

2. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

I know alot of people who use tubs in stacking units to keep there snakes in. Means more snakes in a smaller area if you don't mind not seeing the snake move around go for it.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It always amazes me the sort of ideas people get!
    Yes appropriately sized tubs are fine! In fact most breeders who have large numbers of snakes use them exclusively.

4. alpine

alpine Elite Member

So if they are appropriately sized, how do they deal with it? Are they comfortable? I know since ball pythons are nocturnal they would probably be fine but what are peoples opinions?... Maybe "how to" information?. If I can't find I bin big enough then I won't do it, but what do you guys consider big enough?

5. Merlin

I am not sure what you mean "by how do they deal with it?"
    The snake really doesn't care what the enclosure is made of.

6. alpine

alpine Elite Member

What I mean is, do they do better with enclosures that are opaque or allow in light? Do they still do well in this sort of enclosure or are they more likely to become stressed out by it? Sorry for the confusion.

7. Merlin

As long as the husbandry conditions are correct they do fine. I have snakes in glass tanks as well as snakes in tubs. It really doesn't seem to make any difference to any of them.

8. alpine

alpine Elite Member

Awesome then, what size do you recommend?

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Merlin out of curiousity have you ever switched your snakes to see how a tub snake would react to a glass tank?
    Alpine the size of the tub would depend on the size of the snake. I am sure if you posted the size of your boa someone can help you with a set up.

10. alpine

alpine Elite Member

I have a ball python, currently in a 10 gallon, as soon as he gets a little larger I would like to convert him to a tub system. (I believe the 10 will be fine for a month or two) but I intend to get a set up in a tub if he will be comfortable. He is a baby still, only about a foot long, if that.

11. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I use Boaphile Ball Python Racks (I just plugged you Jeff!) for my ball pythons. I use the same rack for leopard gecko harems and even have one bay used for a cornsnake. lol I currently have 7 of these racks and think they are great.

12. alpine

alpine Elite Member

I don't want a rack system like that though, I'd rather they had more space. And I don't want more than the 1 snake, maybe two but no more. So a full rack system isn't something that is really needed for me. I don't intend to breed them either so ya know, the whole rack is just a little bit... Overkill.

13. alpine

alpine Elite Member

and at that price I could probably just save up and build one myself with a family member to help me.

14. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Tubs can be used, but you would have to make sure that the lid is escape proof, a lot of plastic bins will give in the center. Flexwatt can be used to heat, and a thermostat to control the temp. Having the box around it may make it more escape proof.

I remember an old thread of how a member rigged the lid to keep them from escaping, i'll see if I can find it!
    http://www.herpcenter.com/general-construction/39568-better-tub-binder-clips.html

15. alpine

alpine Elite Member

That is definitely good to know, but what should I look for as far as size? Those suggestions as far as keeping it locked seemed like a great idea and I will definitely work on that when I get the tub set up properly. But as far as size what can be done? Is there anything I should avoid when I am setting it up etc? All help is appreciated! :)

16. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Sterilite makes a nice 110 qt tub that would be nice for Ball Pythons. And as Michele so kindly linked above, it isn't tough to make the lid very secure. Here is my 110 qt set up for my Black Milk.

[video=youtube;0FEuwL92rck]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FEuwL92rck&list=UUvKjdQBSDi00PGl4ZfVuewA&index=3&feature=plcp[/video]

17. alpine

alpine Elite Member

I see you took into account the idea with the wooden dowels. But what would be a comfortable size for a ball python? I mean, he is small now, but I want to look to the future, if he will be comfortable in a smaller one now then I will go for it, but right off the top I actually have quite a few bins of various sizes that I use mostly for storage but can redo to create a comfortable habitat for him.

18. alpine

alpine Elite Member

Thanks for your help guys. :)

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The biggest size you have that has a lid!

20. alpine

alpine Elite Member

Is semi clear or completely opaque better? I have large ones of each, semi clear I have a 95 qt and an opaque that is about half that. The large one is pretty long rather than tall, since I know they don't climb I couldn't imagine this being a problem.