This Disappears When Logged In

Trimming A Metal Screen Lid, Is It Possible?

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Kyla, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Kyla

Kyla New Member

Hello,
    I recently upgraded my dumpy frogs from a 20 gallon to a much larger tall tank, I don't remeber the measurements taken the to be able to convert into the gallon size but I'm guessing its between 55-70 gallons. I bought a screen lid from petco for a 55 gallon, I believe, it was the largest and closest size they had available to my tank. The lid is about 2 1/2. Inches wider than I need it to be and I was wondering if it is possible to trim these pre fabricated metal screen lids to fit my current tank. The lid fits perfectly length wise and I would like it to fit perfectly all around for aesthetic reasons. I can post pictures if needed, but I was just wondering if anyone has sucessfully trimmed one of these lids before to get a perfect fit. I have looked at the diy lids and I prefer the store bought ones and I don't really want to pay for a custom lid if its possible to trim it myself.
    Thank you in advance ☺

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I`m not familiar with them but if it`s relatively thin metal without a "solid edge" around a pair of tinsnips should work. If you can put a photo up of it I might be able to offer another suggestion.

Kyla likes this.
  3. Kyla

Kyla New Member

@murrindindi I hope these pictures are helpful, I have quite a cruddy camera.

Attached Files:

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I would also cut it a little long, and then slice it on each end, and fold it over for a snug fit. (If it's the type of screen I am thinking of) and I second the tin snips idea. Should work!