This Disappears When Logged In

Trial Run At Breeding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Atroxus, Jan 16, 2018.

1. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Smart idea, got to have a business plan as well. Doesn't help to make something if there is no place to sell them.

2. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

At least initially, I will be selling through the local reptile shop on consignment, and possibly online. The owner of the local shop even said she that if I sell online that she would ship for me. All I would need to do is bring the babies to her shop, pay her shipping cost and she would include them in her daily outbound shipments.

Of course I would not want to take advantage of her generosity, so if things go well enough for me to go beyond being a hobbyist who sells very small numbers of reptiles, to being a full on professional breeder then I would look into selling *to* her and/or to one of the other two local reptile shops and/or continue online sales but take responsibility for shipping/handling myself instead.

With the ball python morphs that I am considering I could produce mostly offspring that are currently selling locally or online in the $400-600 range for babies, and some that could potentially go for over $1,000. For now I am mostly looking at co-dominant or super mutations since that would increase my odds of multi-trait offspring and reduce my chances of producing offspring that are visually normal. Though I do have my eye on one recessive trait. My wife and I are super fond of axanthics. :)

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Good luck. I can tell you are excited about all this.

4. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

Thanks, and yes, I am super excited, especially now that my wife has gone from "You can breed small lizards, but no snakes" to being almost obsessed with ball pythons as I am now. She even suggested a couple of the morphs I am looking to start with. :)

In the mean time I have my leo project, though it is starting to look like I missed my window to breed Kylo and Rey this season. The shop owner said Rey produced a clutch of infertile eggs while they had her, though they are not certain when. Since she is only a little over a year old, Kylo has shown no real interest in her and as far as I can tell she is not ovulating or gravid I suspect her breeding cycle may be off from "normal" and that the shop may have bought her at the tail end of her breeding cycle. :( If she doesn't develop some eggs soon I am going to go ahead and separate them and try again closer to next year. I am also looking to see if I can find an experienced local leo breeder who would be willing/able to help me determine if I need to wait till next season to breed Rey, or if I am just not "reading" her well.