This Disappears When Logged In

Tree Monitor Eats First Egg

Discussion in 'Lizard Videos' started by Alexjackson617, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Alexjackson617

Alexjackson617 Active Member

My Green Tree Monitor, Zala, just ate her first egg. Video here:

This is the first time I've gotten her to eat anything other than crickets. Her feeding response was improving so I decided to try the egg again. She ended up eating most of it which you dont see in the video. Her reaction at first was funny, she was not used to the consistancy. By the end she had her face buried in the egg chowing down.

I went out and bought some earthworms and superworms to try tomorrow. I have a ton of Dubias which she will not touch, maybe someday.

Darkbird and Lori68 like this.
  2. Lori68

Lori68 Subscribed User Premium Member

Very nice :) My ackies always do that too. Since they're on the small side I have to crack open the egg for them and they try to 'bite' the liquid. Its kind of funny to watch. Beautiful v prasinus you have!

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I always found Dubias tricky to feed as they like to hide and stand still which doesn't insight the feeding response much. One thing I found that helped was a glass bowl with a small bottom.
    The Dubias constantly try to get up the sides so they stay active. Also with the clear sides they are easy to see. Worked for adult size roaches, not as well for smaller. I found if you put too many in they would climb on the lizard and then take off never to be seen again.
    Well except when the wife opens a cabinet and a dried out one falls out!

Lori68 likes this.
  4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

You folks would never hear from me again if that happened in my house, lol, the wife would murder me. Nice vid, always surprises me how willing these are to interact. Out of curiosity, do you have any sort of raised feeding station in the cage? Something where you could leave a dish of food? I was just thinking that a smooth sided dish of dubias the was left in for an extended period might get a better response. That or tong feeding, which even my grumpy Nile will tolerate. Just leave a piece of carrot or something in the bowl, and they will move around munching the carrot and trying to find a way out. I use the glazed ceramic frocks, clear bowls always seem to confuse my lizards.

5. Alexjackson617

I have tried putting dubias in a bird feeder bowl attached to a branch and still no luck. That was before she got on my schedule. I didnt see her often to feed her except on my days off. Now when I get up for work she's waiting for me. I turn on the lights, let her bask and then hand feed her 8 or so crickets. Hand feeding has never been an issue, she ate crickets from my hand the day I got her.

She is very curious and enthusiastic to interact. She climbs right onto my hand and I take her in the bathroom and let her climb around for a bit most days. I need to monitor proof a bigger room, I get nervous because shes still on the smaller side.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

That's great that she is so calm around you. I've always heard that any of the tree monitor species were so shy.

7. jonathan.piazza91

jonathan.piazza91 Active Member

Cool video and gorgeous monitor. Hopefully she continues to stay friendly.

8. Alexjackson617

She's cb and I imagine the breeders time and dedication can make a huge difference. He hand fed her and was handling her often since she was a baby.