This Disappears When Logged In

Tree Frog Compatibility

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by stano40, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stano40

stano40 Elite Member

Can a black eyed tree frog be housed with a red eyed tree frog?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Nope. General rule is to not mix species at all. They will stress each other out to the point of death from not eating. Plus, you never know what frogs are carrying that does not affect them, but will affect another animal.

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Though Liz is right in that you shouldn't mix species, for various reasons, I don't want others to read this and claim she doesn't know what she's talking about. So I thought I'd add that fasting to the point of death would be pretty extreme, and is not a certainty, nor a likely consequence, of mixing species. However, just because they probably won't starve themselves to death doesn't mean it's a good idea. Stress and sickness are very real outcomes that can occur. And though starvation is unlikely, it's still possible and does happen sometimes.

Just out of curiosity though, what species do you mean by "black-eyed tree frog"? Morelet's leaf frog, Agalychnis moreletti, goes by that name often (misleading, since the genus Agalychnis is more correctly known as "leaf frogs", not "tree frogs"). But so does the gliding leaf frog, Agalychnis spurrelli, on occasion.

However, and though I do not condone this, I also believe in being realistic. If you could guarantee that the red-eyed leaf frog and the Morelet's leaf frog were healthy and free of disease and parasites, and your habitat was appropriate, there really isn't any realistic difference between housing them together and housing two red-eyeds together. But if something ever did happen, don't say we didn't tell you it's a bad idea.

4. schlegelbagel

ok, so i was being a little extreme. But they will stress each other out. I was guessing it was going to be in his little 20 gallon. If one was to mix species, I would say you would have a much larger environment. I don't think I would try it in anything less than 100 gallon.

5. stano40

stano40 Elite Member

God forbid I should inter-mix species. Next thing you know they'll want to get married and then we'll have tree frogs with one eye red and the other eye black running around the tank. There goes the neighborhood.

On a more serious note, I was just curious if they would co-exist.

My next question was more in line with what I am planning to buy.

I would like to get another, possibly two more red-eyed tree frogs for that 20 gal tank.

Would an adult tree frog eat a baby or younger red eye?

Is it better to buy another adult?

6. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Well, there's also this pesky little matter of species carrying diseases that they can spread to other species. One can be immune, but the other may not be, and it can be a serious issue. That's a big part of why we generally recommend against housing them together.

Although the idea of a black eyed/red eyed frog is certainly appealing! ;)

I'm no expert on frogs, but it's probably best to get a similarly sized adult as a cage mate. Besides the threat of being eaten, that's a good way for the bigger one to establish dominance, which leads to other problems. Although frogs seem to be pretty social, so it may not be something you have to worry about as much.

7. schlegelbagel

I would stick to one more. Its getting too tight for 3 in there.

There is a good chance a little tiny baby would get eaten. They come as small as a marble. Try to get one that is at least half grown.

And don't forget to quarantine for at least a month! :)

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yeah, for a 20 gallon I'd stick to two frogs. And it is best to get similarly sized animals. If the adult is considerably larger than the juvenile, he may try to eat it. And even if not, the constant presence of a much larger animal will put stress on the younger one. I'd get one that's at least half the size of your current frog.

9. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Or you could just start building a bigger enclosure, fill it with frogs, then get to build an even bigger tank so you can get more and the cycle continues! ;)

10. schlegelbagel

I don't know what you are talking about. :p

11. stano40

stano40 Elite Member

Two per 20 gallon tank has been all that I had planned on. I was curious though as several care sheet that I have read online mentioned up to 4 can be housed in a 20 gallon tank. I thought that might be a little tight, unless the three extras are female.

Of course there is a 55 gal aquarium tank that's empty.......hmmmm! Let's see if I move the bed over to the other wall and knock a hole into the kids room and move them to the basement....Ummm.....I'll get back to you all on that last part.

:rolleyes:

12. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

I think the general rule is 10 gallons for one frog, plus 5 gallons for each additional frog. So that would make it possible to house 3 in a 20 gallon tank. Still, it's always better to have more room if possible, so keeping only two in a 20 g tank would probably the best way to go.

Of course, a 55 g tank, that can house more than just two frogs. :)

13. schlegelbagel

depends on the breed of frog. That's fine for small frogs like green tree frogs or firebelly toads. Anything bigger you need to add 10 per frog.

14. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Ah. That makes sense. I should have double checked before making that comment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.