This Disappears When Logged In

Travel Heat For Uro?

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by AmarusCameron, Dec 14, 2017.

1. AmarusCameron

AmarusCameron Member

Hey all, no uro to speak of yet but hopefully that will remedied after the new year.

I am headed to the Northwest Herp expo in portland on the 13th of January and on the off chance I am able to find a little pal to bring home with me I wondered if any of you had ideas for a travel case that provides enough heat for the Uromastyx. I know there won't be much I can do about the basking light but if I can keep the ambient temperature between 80-90 degrees I think it would be enough to get the little guy home and into a real enclosure. Unfortunately its a two hour drive home to Tacoma and I don't want to have the hatchling/juvenile in whatever unheated thing they give me for so long.

So the TL;DR- How to you guys transport a uro?

If I don't score a uro at this expo then I'll be combing the sites and classifieds, I'm only after captured bred so its a little more difficult to find one =P Hope to join the ranks of you all soon enough.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

A small cooler would be fine, as long as you leave the lid cracked, or one of the cheap foam ones with a small hole or 2 poked in it.. I would think there would be a good chance that someone at the show will be selling heat packs used in shipping reptiles. Of course, you can just keep the heat in the car in the 70s on the way home and it should do just fine.

AmityReptiles likes this.
  3. AmarusCameron

AmarusCameron Member

The expo said they would be selling all you need for travel, I just figured since Uros are on the extreme end of the heat spectrum I wanted to be sure they could handle it. I know his temp won't drop ridiculously in the car ride, and as you said I can keep it warm. I just wanted the opinion of other uromastyx owners.

So thanks for your thought =D

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can get disposable hand warmers at sporting goods stores. Just in case.

5. AmarusCameron

AmarusCameron Member

Would I set those in with the little guy or pack them around the container. I've read you don't wanna let them cozy right up to heaters because it can burn them

6. Merlin

You wrap the heater in a towel and put it the enclosure. If you expect really cold temps a Styrofoam ice chest as Darkbird suggested is a good idea.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Yes uromastyx are on the hot side of the spectrum, but a brief dip into low 70s shouldn't be an issue for even a 2+ hour car ride. Haven't kept any in a while, but I didn't even provide night heat for mine when I had them, but mine were also adults, so the same rules might not apply.

8. AmarusCameron

AmarusCameron Member

@Merlin That is an excellent idea, now I feel silly for not having thought of it. >_<

@Darkbird Yeah I'm hoping for a hatchling to juvenile so that is why I was being a bit more protective. I imagine their tolerance is not that of a full grown uro.

Thank you both for your replies, I imagine questions like this can get tiring =P

9. Merlin

Not at all!
    Things such as this are one of the reasons we created this site.

Darkbird and AmarusCameron like this.
  10. AmarusCameron

AmarusCameron Member

Well thanks, I really appreciate it =D