This Disappears When Logged In

Transporting Snakes

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by KhantiMetta, May 10, 2015.

1. KhantiMetta

KhantiMetta Active Member

In few months I am moving to Oklahoma and I'd like to take my kingsnake with me. We are going by bus and it will probably be a 2 day trip. She is a baby and can still fit in her little container I bought her home in. I will be taking with me a small tote to serve as her tank until I can get a new tank for her in OK. Can people give me tips on how you keep your snakes healthy during moves? I really appreciate it!

2. Leanea

Leanea Well-Known Member

Well, I have a beardie. What I use is a small cat carrier that I fitted with foam pads, and I stick him in there with his towel. Maybe you can do the same with your tote? What I would also do is maybe get either hand warmers or a battery operated heating pad and wrap them in small towels or something to keep her warm.

3. ExoJoe

ExoJoe Established Member

I would check the weather forecast for all the days that you will be traveling. You might find that providing a cooling agent in a container could be just as important. I think for a two day trip you may want to shoot for maintaining the suggested ambient temperature in his container.

DwarvenChef likes this.
  4. Leanea

Leanea Well-Known Member

Ahaha... that's true... She is going to a warm snake. I kind of forgot cooling is important. Where I live it's always cold so it's heatheatheatheat.

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

A couple days at "room temp" Say 60-80 will not be much of an issue during the trip. Well hydrated before you leave is important, no worry about food till you arrive and set up the new digs. I've moved all over the states and to and from Alaska with my snakes and lizards. If your in the comfort zone for only a few days you will be fine.

Darkbird likes this.
  6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Depends on what a "few months" are. Ok weather is so wildly variable you could have either cold or crazy hot to deal with.

DwarvenChef likes this.
  7. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

As Merlin and ExoJoe pointed out, know your forecast of the weather for the trip. Incase of T-Storms popping up on a moments notice I'd have provisions for at least the week, just incase you get locked into an area due to weather.

I chased hurricane Danny when we moved from KS to GA, I was foolish enough to try riding my Harley the distance. My critters where in the rig while I rode point on my bike, we took almost twice as long to get there as planned....

8. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

In addition to what everyone else is saying, here's my two cents... Just try to reduce the stress to the snake as much as you can. Try to keep the bab from being jostled around more than necessary, don't be constantly opening the tub and handling it, and etc.

When you get home, set your snakes house back up, and then treat it like you would a new snake. I.e, leave it be for a few days-week to settle back in.

KhantiMetta and DwarvenChef like this.