This Disappears When Logged In

Tortoise for the Ages

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Swimmer522, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

Hey all. So in the long line of reptile that will be owned by me and or my bf is the sulcata tortoise. He would like to get one when he moves into his own place so i suggested starting to do research on them now. We do understand that they are forever but hey i already have some pets that will live 20 plus years. So any advice or help would be wonderful thanks!

2. mele

mele Elite Member

They are amazing pets just keep in mind size, digging, and a place to keep warm in the winter.

3. Poison

Poison Elite Member

a baby will need high humidity some people like to give them a humid hide of 80%-100% i wouldnt use a tortoise table sense they are hard to hold humidity in. basking can range in the low hundreds as long as you have a place for it to cool off. as for diet feed greens cactus grasses very little fruit (only for a treat)

4. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

The owner of the shop i would be getting to from said that the baby would be fine in a 20 gal for a while would that work?

5. Poison

Poison Elite Member

it will be very hard to get the temps it needs in a 20 gallon i wouldnt use any thing less then a 40

6. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

So was reading some other peoples threads who have a sulcata and one mentions having a tub instead of a tank for them?

7. Poison

Poison Elite Member

yep tubs work great just be sure to provide a humid hide

8. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

What would be best for a humid hide? Also what bulbs would you reccomend for the basking lamp?

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just out of curiosity what are your plans for it as an a adult?
    Few people have the facilities to house a 150 lb bulldozer.

10. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

Right now all im doing is research. The bf plans on getting a decent size house

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So a 150 sulcata tends to be a small female one, think 200+ lbs for a male and they will reach this size in about 20-30 years and can live over 100years. Also I dont know about where you live but here in Az they get stolen quite often, as the larger they are the more money they are worth. Next thing to consider when your in you 80s and going to an assisted living home (not that you have to or will but as a worse case scenario) the tortoise will only be about half way through his life span (assuming your in your 20s) who will take him then?
    Now if these questions aren't an issue for you then here's some pointers on habitats: for a burrow in your tank for a baby use a flower pot with a mister and enough dirt that they can bury themselves in it. Sand is a great substrate or soil. They don't necessarily have to have a water dish in the cage as long as they have the mister and once every two days you set them in a shallow dish; however it is better to have one set up. Food dishes need to be as large as you can fit as they tend to walk through their food and push it out, the larger the dish the less chance of getting substrate on it. Both food and water dishes should be buried so the lip is even with the ground. The Sulcata babies are prone to flipping over which is bad for them. Here is a link to a great food chart. It is made for bearded dragons. It is a great reference for most reptiles. Just don't feed the live pray as sulcatas are herbivores. Nutrition Content

12. Poison

Poison Elite Member

you gave good info except for one thing it is very important to have a water bowl the leading cause of pyramiding is from dehydration so it is very important to give them access to water at all times. and that chart that thalatte gave you is very helpful and lets you know how healthy a food item is. and also you can feed earth worms as a treat every now and then if it will take it.

13. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

Thanks! I was planning on starting a veggie garden too because i do have a dragon. Thanks for all the great info. Like i said this is just the research stage.

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I disagree with the worm. Sulcatas are HERBIVORES, meaning they eat plants. Worms aren't plants. Giving worms can cause a protein buildup which also causes pyramiding. If your looking to give your sulcata a treat give a tiny bit of broccoli or most types of fruit.

15. Poison

Poison Elite Member

there are very few animals that are strictly plant eaters in the world. protein has been proven to have very little to do with pyramiding.

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It has more to do with it then hydration. In effect it is a combination of protein buildup, improper calcium levels, over eating, and not enough exercise that can cause pyramiding. Sulcatas are one of those "few" animals that are strict vegetarians. In fact most tortoises are herbivores. Some are omnivores like the red footed tortoise but over all most are strict omnivores.

17. Poison

Poison Elite Member

18. Poison

Poison Elite Member

and a strict vegitarian would not even try and eat a worm witch most sulcatas will witch means they are not strict vegitarians

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

If this is the forum you use as your knowledge base then please read in more depth. Ex: Animal-based protein should NEVER be offered as part of their diet

Read more: AFRICAN SPURRED TORTOISE (SULCATA) CARE SHEET - Tortoise Forum - Tortoise Husbandry Community
    Also: Don't forget that a good varied diet and lots of exercise are also involved in stopping or preventing pyramiding. Yes, humidity and hydration are important but on an equal basis with them is exercise and a good varied diet. I believe three things are necessary and all are equal...humidity, a good varied diet with mostly grasses and weeds leafs and things like that and a lot of exercise...

Read more: The End Of Pyramiding - Tortoise Forum - Tortoise Husbandry Community

20. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

Exercise wont be a problem part of our planning and researching involves a room for the tortoise and an outdoor enclosure for summer time.