This Disappears When Logged In

Tora the Tiger!

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by Snakelings, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Snakelings

Snakelings Well-Known Member

Snapped a few photos of our Tiger Reticulated Python, Tora, today. She's a big three-year-old girl! I can hardly hold her by myself anymore! She's more than twice my body length and 62+ lbs!

DSCN9326.jpg

DSCN9340.jpg

DSCN9341.jpg

And a picture of my husband holding her... he's considerably taller and stronger than I am!

DSCN9342.jpg

Attached Files:

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Very nice snake, love the Tiger phase.
    But oh oh, he's holding the snake and his pants are falling down.:)

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

She's one pretty snake.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That head shot is fantastic.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Beautiful snake - Keep the pictures coming. I'll never own one (toooo big for me) but I'll drool on the keyboard when you share pics.

6. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I'm with dragoness on this one. Just too big for my fancy, but such a great looking snake!! These creatures are just so amazing to me.

7. Snakelings

LOL. They are huuuuuuuuuuge! She's still growing too! Both of her parents were about 20 feet long. Honestly, the only reason my husband and I can even own her is that we support each other's herp hobby. I can't imagine if either one of us had to work her by ourselves. She's a wonderful snake though. Very good temperament, very docile. We take her to youth groups for herpetology presentations.

I commend you guys for recognizing that a Retic is not your cup of tea. Too many inexperienced and unprepared people buy a baby Retic on the spur of the moment and after two weeks they love their personality so much that they go out and buy a whole bunch more, only to have the animals end up for sale or in shelters, or worse, put down because they end up being more than the owner can handle (quite literally). My husband wanted a Retic for years and years before we got one. He did all the research first, went to several different breeders and handled several adults before he made up his mind, and then he waited until he was with me because he recognized that he would need someone that supported him and would help him once she got full grown.

8. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I'm with Jen on this one. Could never own one but will continue to envy yours. Gorgeous tiger!

9. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Beautiful snake! I think I will stick to my burms though, unless I end up rescuing/removing one from a residence around here and I take a specific liking to it. I have read that if you bond and create a trusting relationship with them they are some of the best snakes to own. If I were younger and had a lot more room I might consider one, but I'll just have to live vicariously htrough you guys.

10. Snakelings

Thanks. :) I love burms too! Eventually, I'd like to get another one... maybe a female to breed to my Afrock. :D Burms are very intelligent, but not as curious as Retics. I swear to God, having a Retic is like having a 20 foot long, 200lb armless, legless Racoon. They are curious about everything and get into everything! We've had to start putting Tora in a bin when we clean her cage because if you turn your back for a few minutes she will destroy the snake room by just climbing on stuff. In our old apartment, we'd take her out and let her slither the apartment while we were cleaning. We'd turn our backs for a few seconds to find her climbing into the kitchen sink or trying to break into the bathroom (where we would stash the cat when we had the snakes out).

However, I guess our other Retic (may her soul rest in peace), was a lot more laid back about being out and when we took her out she would find a cozy place to coil up and sleep (usually the bed).

A couple of older pics from probably almost 10-11 months ago in my old apartment.

Here's Tora climbing on the counter... inspecting the dishes... looking for snacks, no doubt.
    DSCN8332.jpg

And here she is trying to get the bathroom door open. She has the right idea but lacks the appendages...
    Bathroom.jpg

And a more serene moment... Tora on the bed watching Power Rangers (Jungle Fury)...
    DSCN8012.jpg
    DSCN8011.jpg

Attached Files:

11. MonitorMatt

MonitorMatt Member

You're making me miss my tiger! I just may have to get another..