This Disappears When Logged In

Top Soil + Worms?

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by cslammon, Sep 13, 2016.

1. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

I have recently picked back up into the reptile game, set up a nice 55 gallon for a juvenile Blue Iguana. I used a layer of river pebble followed by a firmly pressed layer of top soil, followed by another looser layer of top soil. I have some live plants throughout, and I have so far had success with the water staying in the rocks until the soil needs it which then gets to the plants. However the lack of nutrients for the plants worries me. I don't want to use fertilizers or anything like that. I was wondering if I were to put in a couple dozen earth worms, how that would pan out? The worms would eat the waste from the iguana and the plants, then in turn fertilize the plants. Another bonus is they would keep the soil nice and aerated. I don't see any issues in doing this but I have googled and haven't come up with any solid answers. I just don't want to end up having to start the entire tank over again due to some silly mistake.

Thanks in advance.

74AB9435-D969-4776-AA37-0E97AC0F4625_zps0sngocwb.jpg
    This is the shallowest area of dirt

235018E9-967C-4C7E-92FE-F4897D1AA624_zpsz0lwrmx5.jpg
    Gets pretty deep in the middle, about 3-4 inches

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I think you might have to find more of a tropical worm species to have them survive. It's worth a shot, however I don't think your substrate is deep enough for them. Likely the dirt will be too warm.

3. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

I was thinking that may be the case, any suggestions?

4. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

After doing some reading it appears the "Blue worm" fits right in, the only downside being that they prefer a dryer soil. I just want to make sure they aren't toxic in any form to the Iguana.

Worm Farm Facts - Blue Worm

5. kriminaal

I never thought of them eating them.
    I had tried earthworms before with a few feet of dirt with not much success. But I was heating the substrate as well.

6. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

Yeah I think I may try putting 10-12 of them in there. Worst that happens is they die in the dirt right? If they don't like the soil they'll stay on top of it and I'll just remove them.

7. kriminaal

Yea, they die and become part of the ecosystem :)