This Disappears When Logged In

Too Big Cricket, Now He's Whistling "screaming"...

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by nikkistorms, Aug 8, 2012.

1. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

I'm very careful to only give crickets that are no bigger than the space between the eyes. I gave my Leonidas 6 tiny crickets like I do everyday. Put greens in the bowel with them chopped smaller than the crickets. He ate 1 and looked like he as shaving a hard time swallowing it. Every minute or so he would "scream" which Bc he's so tiny himself comes out as a faint whistle. I took the bowl out for 30 minutes so he wouldn't eat anymore. Wanted to give him a chance to get that one down. Put the bowl back in and he just ate a second one. Did the same thing. Acts like its too big even tho I've watched him eat the same size crickets everytime he's fine.

He's still doing the squealing "scream" whistle thing every couple minutes. Normally he only does that if he's scared. I'm not close enough to him for him to be doing that as a response to me. I know its significant to the crickets. He's acting as tho he's having a hard time swallowing.

Any ideas?

2. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

Is there any chance there is one stuck in his mouth, to where you might be able to extract it with small tongs, or fingers?
    See if you can get him to drink some water, it might help to "wash it down".

3. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

Maybe a cricket leg broke off and he swallowed it funny. I would get him to drink, spray water on his nose.

4. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

I dripped water off a spoon onto his nose. He licked it. But then he did the whistle and the water came up thru his nostrils. I looked in his mouth when he whistled and I don't see anything. Should I remove his food til he stops?

5. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

I would remove the food, Does he whistle while normally breathing?
    Meaning, it isnt constricting his normal breathing process?

6. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

He's definintely acting like he's choking. He is still breathing and he's not changing colors, like he's not blue were you know any weird color but when he asked like he's choking the water comes back up out of his nose and drips down his mouth.

7. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

Dont give him too much water, for fear of drowning him.

See if you can get to a vet, I dont exactly know what to do in that case. I would almost suggest trying to push the food down, but i dont know if that would work.

8. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

I don't see any food to remove. And he doesn't whistle constantly. Do we have the ability to post videos here? I felt his sides and underneath and I don't feel any blockages.

9. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

So let him eat another cricket to see if it will push whatever it is down? I'm not giving any more water.

10. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

What about a warm bath??

11. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

Upload to Youtube, and paste URL on here.

Another cricket would be your call, if you cant feel blockages, Im not entirely sure he is choking. He could be coughing?

12. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Could be coughing. In my opinion it seems like he's holding his breath for a few seconds, whistling, which is letting out the breath. He's walking around. All limbs are working. He's able to change his colors.

13. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

I would offer him greens and not more crickets to try and clear it down. I would bet it is a piece of cricket stuck. Just make sure you are letting him lick off the water for himself or dropping it on the front of his mouth and not down so he doesn't breath it in.

14. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

Hmm, If it where me, I would see if he is willing to eat another one. Generally, if there is something wrong, reptiles wont eat. We all know that. See if he will eat another one.

15. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

THIS^^^

16. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

I'm putting him under his lamp to warm up and see if that will help. He seems to be breathing more otter but it's a lil heavier than ive noticed.

17. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Ok I'll do this.

18. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

Update when possible!

19. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

He doesn't normally eat green as much so it's gonna be hard to know if it is an indication of an issue. :( I'll be at work so my husbands going to keep an eye on him and is going to update me.

20. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Update from my hubby: Leo ate another cricket.... hopefully that means he pushed whatever it was down...