This Disappears When Logged In

Tokay Gecko

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by Hmcguff, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Hmcguff

Hmcguff New Member

Hey everyone I had a few quick questions that hopefully someone can answer. I have had my Tokay for 2 years now got him as a baby from backwater reptiles. I'm very concerned with him of late. This is the only lizard I have ever owned and do not know much about them. I'm going to post a picture of his habitat and him. I have most of the hides removed so I can get a picture of him. I'm really concerned with his color and the fact he has not shed in about 9 months. He eats fine he is active just his color does not look the same anymore. When he is out he looks dry but I cant seem to keep the temperature right. Any advice on substrate and ways to keep the humidity right would be great. I almost feel i can not care for him correctly and may need to find a experienced tokay owner to relocate him too. Any help would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, does the enclosure have a screen top?

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Definitely looks like a screen top so that will be the first thing to fix right there. Cover it with any non-porous material you can, tinfoil, saran wrap, sheet plastic, whatever. Cover as much as you can, right up to where any lights go through. That will help to stabilize conditions. I would also ditch the carpet and use cypress mulch or eco-earth, that will probably cure any humidity issues. If the cage still isn't warm enough after the screen is covered, sheet insulation foam can be used on the sides, top and bottom, leaving only the front open for viewing. Also what are the exact temps and humidity you are seeing, and how are you measuring them?

4. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Aside from the husbandry issues pointed out earlier I think the gecko looks to be in decent condition though better pictures may help. I'm not seeing the "dry" appearance you described and from the photos your gecko looks to be a pretty average tokay. I believe this species tends to be more of a drab color as adults than the hatchlings are. If you've had it two years it may well be mature and the slowed growth is the reason for the infrequent shedding.
    We actually have a good care sheet for this species here on the site; Tokay Gecko | Reptile Forums - Information

Foremost I believe you should ditch the cage carpet and switch to coconut fiber/ eco earth, cypress mulch, or another similar substrate to help with the humidity issues. Covering the screen top will also help. I think by providing more branches and plants as opposed to the log hides on the ground will get the gecko off the floors of the tank, which could very well make its condition seem improved.

5. Hmcguff

Hmcguff New Member

I have changed the floor to eco earth tropical cypress bedding. I got a all living things thermometer and hygrometer hope to get a better one soon though. I can't accsses the care sheet for some reason and I'm going to cover the top with some good material tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice. I' attaching a picture of the updated husbandry. Let me know what else might be needed to further improve. Tomorrow I hope to find some type of plants to cover the empty areas of the tank. Local stores had nothing of use. Again thanks for all the help!

Attached Files:

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Accurite makes a decent and inexpensive thermometer/hygrometer combo that typically sells for around $12 at Wal-Mart for future reference. The one you have looks like it should be ok though.

7. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Craft stores like Michael's or A.C. Moore (not sure what's in your area) sell cheap fake plants. I usually buy the long strands of fake vines and then cut them into smaller pieces with wire cutters, and a dab of hot glue on the end covers any wire poking out

8. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Any chance the gecko is shedding when you aren't around? They eat the shed skins so if that is the case you would never know. (Although you should see a brighter fresher appearance after shedding)