This Disappears When Logged In

Together again

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by BlackJack, Mar 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

The girls are back together again. Q pretty much stopped making so many noises. I'm not sure if she had anything wrong with her or if she just got less nervous after the daily handling for the antibiotic treatment. I kept her quarantined for a few weeks and she never showed any signs of illness.
    Here are the girls all snuggled up digesting their big dinners. :)
    Q's head is in the left center, the rest of her body is pretty much buried under Talyn's, except a strip along the top and left side. You can see how her skin shows through her scales. :( -- a sign she was undernourished at a young age. -- Talyn is the darker one with the silvery-white sides. (Her sides just turn white in the evenings, during the day she's red-orange all the way to her belly!)
    The flash really brought out some of their rainbow effects! :D

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Looks like they missed each other-lol! Great pics!
    What beautiful colours they have!Ever thought of painting your snakes to put on your walls??! But I guess there's never time to paint your own animals-for years now I always thinking about to make a painting from my cats and dogs,but there's always something you got to paint first,and it goes on and on-lol.Do you know the feeling?

3. BlackJack

Actually I think they just both wanted to get under the same hide-box. (I lifted it off to take the photos, then put it back over them!) They tend to curl up together a lot though.
    Yes, I know what you mean... I never seem to get around to painting my own pets. Although I think these girls would be a great challenge!

4. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

They are beautiful!!

5. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

:) they're beautiful. i love seeing pics of these snakes. the rainbows are just great.

6. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

they look great can't wait for Kaa to get bigger

7. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Awsome

That is so cute,Love those pics great colors! :D

8. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

:) Great pictures! They're so pretty!

9. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

They are looking good Andrea, :D hope all stays well for you now, you deserve to ogle them together without any worries :D

10. BlackJack

Oh enjoy him while he's small!! I wish I could have started with these two A LOT younger! :)

11. Brent Strande

Brent Strande Elite Member

After that first scare, are you sure that you want to put them back together?

12. BlackJack

As sure as I can be... I discussed it with the vet. Neither animal has any signs of illness at all. They just "huff/hiss" when disturbed and "vibrate/rattle" when excited. Since they both do it now, I don't see the point in separating them again. The antibiotic treatments didn't change that. If it's a virus, their immune systems will have to take care of it. But I'm just really starting to think it's some variant of communication.

Q hasn't been whistling anymore but I think it's more that she got used to handling when I had to take her out everyday for the antibiotic injections. She's calmed down a lot.
    The vet said she can't do anything more and can't find anything wrong with them. :confused: They are both eating well and full of energy.

I realize I could be WAY off (again) here. But I'm keeping a close eye on both of them.

13. Brent Strande

I'd still be leary. Even if they're better, if something comes up again, it will most likely affect both.

Also, perhaps it WAS a mild RI and the antibiotics did take care of it (you were handling before the antibiotics, but it didn't clear up until you started to administer them)

Just an observation. I'd hate to hear that one got sick and died, but would REALLY hate to hear that both did.

You say that they huff when disturbed. If they do this when together, wouldn't it suggest that they are disturbing each other? I don't think that snakes communicate in the same ways that humans and some animals do. So it's more likely a warning to stay away rather than a friendly 'hello'

Whichever you choose, Good Luck!

14. BlackJack

Separated again

Brent, your advice to reconsider has been taken!
    As of this afternoon, both snakes are in smaller quarantine enclosures so that I can monitor each of them more carefully.
    Thank you! :)

PS -- To answer your question about the huffing/hissing: It seems to me that it's always used as a warning to "back off" -- either to me, or to each other. I've noticed it a few times when one of them is in the moss box, under a hide or in a particularly favorite spot and the other wants to go there too. Then I hear the huff/hiss sound and the other one either backs away or ignores it and continues on anyway. On a few occasions, Talyn has struck at Q (closed mouth but a fast hard strike.) This used to make Q go away, but now she ignores that too and pushes her way on in and once they're settled in, they usually stay curled up together all day.

15. Brent Strande

Sounds stressful to me...

16. BlackJack

It was interesting, but they're apart again now.

17. Brent Strande

Sorry. I honestly am not trying to sound like a ****. I really think that you're great, and that's why I'm concerned about you and your snakes. If I couldn't care less about you and them, I wouldn't say a word!

I hope that everything works out great with them, no matter whether they're together or apart!

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Brendt there has been nothing in your posts that comes across as anything but caring advice!
    Andrea I agree. If the snake is reacting like that when the other approaches it sounds to me like they do not care for the others presence. Snakes are funny about things and even though there is not a physical conflict that is obvious to us it could still be stressing the snake out to the point of leaving it open to further illness.
    I'd separate them and keep them separate.

19. BlackJack

No offense taken, Brent; I didn't have much time to respond this morning... I understand how my account may have sounded. Actually I only witnessed those sort of encounters about 3 times... the striking when Talyn was in the blue and the huffing twice on Q's part... that was in the first week they were together. (The first period I had them together). After that, they seemed to have worked out their "dominance issues" and always ended up snuggled together in the same places. If either one moved, the other soon followed and I never noticed any aggression or resistance after that or in the second time I put them together again.
    That's what made me think it was sort of a communication thing.
    Lately they just sometimes huff at me when I come to take them out! (And I pretty much do the same thing they did: ignore it and take them out anyway... (I figure I need to show them who the alpha snake is!)

I think they really get along fine... but the health/quarantine issues still continue to concern me... so for now, they're both outside of the main terrarium in smaller quarantine boxes. This way I can really monitor them close up without any confusion about who's making what noises and if they're making them because of something the other one is doing.

I appreciate the concern on your part and the "heads up" warnings ... will I EVER learn from previous mistakes???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.