This Disappears When Logged In

To All Bearded Dragon Lovers Pros/Cons Please

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by JSqueezer, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Mine isn't eating a ton yet. I'm sure she will though. She will hand feed first but if the cricket escapes she sometimes will go catch it. There are a couple in her cage. I can't find them but they were in the food bowl. Then they took off. Darn crickets. Lol.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It does seem that mine are eating more than a normal beardie but they are also growing at a phenomenal rate to. they went from 4in total length to 12 and 13in total in a month and a half or so.

3. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Wow. They might be giants!

4. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

I think I've found the name for my Dragon... Godzilla!! Okay, not very original, but I always wanted a Godzilla!!;|(|

5. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

My husband loves Godzilla. You could go with Gojira which is Godzilla in Japanese I believe :)

6. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

That could work for me.

7. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

If you have always wanted one.. Get one. Your love for these special , delightful, infuriating , stubborn and sometimes stinking Lizards is one of the best things you'll do in your life. realize you will NEVER know everything.. Care sheets and peoples opinions change on care and nutrition from time to time.. But if your heart is ready for it.. Youll never regret it. Obviously that other person just didn't have what you have. The desire. <3

8. Majora

Majora Elite Member

It is. :) You could also go with Zilla... Minilla... Space Godzilla... Mechagodzilla... Burning Godzilla... Godzilla Jr... Super Godzilla even... lol the choices are endless. With 29 movies and tons of games there are a lotta 'Zillas.

Runningmom, your husband has good taste. I am a huge Godzilla fan, with a collection of over 200 Godzilla figures :p I love me some Goji.

9. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Godzuki :)
    Majora- yes he's a big fan. He doesn't have that many collectibles but we have some of the toys still in boxes in the basement. They need a place to be displayed somewhere. :)

There is also Gamera and mothra. But mothra wouldn't make much sense since it is a giant moth.

10. Kjonas

Kjonas New Member

First thing, a lot of people get them when they are really little and think their cute, but when they get big they are scared of him and or don't give them any attention anymore, that's a terrible thing to do to pet!

They are very social and very smart, they love to be out and about they love to run and explore and be around people. So you definetly need to have the time to play with them and get them out of their tanks. The good news about that is if you have them out a lot than its real easy to keep on their tanks. Set the little guy down change his water, get out any gross things left behind and rearrange his "furniture", then play. It takes two minutes and you were already going to have him out anyway. Keeping a lizard tank clean is like keep a bathroom or a kitchen clean, if you keep up with the small stuff you should never have to do the big stuff (not that, that isn't recommended every so often).

Frankly any pet is a lot of work if its a pet you want to spend time with and enjoy than your going to just do it with out even noticing because most of the work comes along with just spending time with your pet. My little guy cuddle up to my head on my pillow right now (its way past his bed time).

Just make sure you do the research and know exactly how to take care of him! All the things he needs and how to look out for trouble, my vet always tells me the problem with reptiles is they are so hard to read and so many people don't know how that by the time they get to them it is to late!

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I haven't really run into any cons with my bearded dragon yet. At least nothing that doesn't come with every other animal, like cleaning up poop. Even that is minimal if you just give a bath every day or two, they will usually poop in it for you, and then you can just dump it down the toilet. Very easy.

Mine is cageless. I put laminate floors down in the reptile room, so her messes are very easy to clean up.

12. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

About the only con I know of is that the babies/juvies eat like horses. My girlfriend really wants one too, and my response is this: when you can commit to maintaining a big bug colony (probably roaches) for feeders yourself you can have one. I wouldn't object to having a roach colony in the house, but I will NOT maintain it. I'm not about to buy feeders by the thousands monthly.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

(PSST!!!! its not "buy thousands of feeders monthly" its Buy thousands of feeders weekly!)

14. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

LOL you are right. Right now I'm going through about 3k a week total. Thats between the rescues and my own juveniles.

15. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Thala.. Mine too! thankfully its not hard brumate. But zoey keeps crawling to the cooler hidy place and will not come out for anything other than bugs. Wash will only take bugs but neither of them is moving much not pooping right and it both started right when the sun quit hitting their window that their tanks are by. Ive been trying to get supplimental light set up but they are still being difficult.

16. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

wups Sorry to highjack. Um.. the most costly things.. and most troublesome or bothersome things.. are regrets. If you really want something you find a way to fit it into your life and love it and care for it with a passion that is within. Perhaps a dragon wasn't the type of pet for your friend.