This Disappears When Logged In

To All Bearded Dragon Lovers Pros/Cons Please

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by JSqueezer, Sep 5, 2013.

1. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

I have been wanting a Beardie for a while now, but I spoke with someone who had them in the past and said that they are a total pain to take care of... not difficult... it's just an awful lot of work. So convince me.. are Beardies more trouble than they are worth? Are they so absolutely adorable that they are totally worth the effort? (trust me it won't take much convincing.. I reaaaallly want a Beardie!!)

2. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

A common sentiment is that the more effort you put into something, the more you will appreciate it. If you're already sold on the appeal of a bearded dragon, then effort won't and shouldn't deter you.

Yes, beardies do take a bit more effort to establish and, depending on the dragon, work with (i.e. due to some being incredibly stubborn eaters, random brumation behaviors, questionable personalities, etc.) compared to the vast majority of the other reptiles I've worked with, but they can also be incredibly rewarding animals in terms of their unique personalities, handleability, etc.

If you can afford the investment, both timewise and financially (ensure you research all of the equipment/supplies/tanks you'll require) and you aren't afraid of putting in effort for something you'll love, then I see no reason why you shouldn't get one.

As an example, I love my water dragon to pieces, but she is by far the biggest pain in the butt reptile I have ever owned. ;) She's high maintenance, expensive, a difficult and stubborn eater, and stresses very easily over nothing (and goes off food as a result). I have fought with her constantly over one thing or another in the entire time I've owned her...but I wouldn't trade her for the world. I love the species, and I love her...so to me, the effort is worth it. Do I recommend this species to others? Only if they share the same passion I do for them. If they don't, then they will very likely see them as being more trouble than they're worth (which is likely the boat the individual you spoke with is in). The same with bearded dragons. If you're passionate about the species, you'll see the effort as a challenge, and not as a deterrent.

3. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

No!!! They are worth every bit of trouble lol. I waited 8 or 10 years to get one. Now I don't know why I waited so long. I want another one lol. They are one of the best lizards in my opinion to get when you are first getting a lizard. Others may differ in that opinion and that is fine. I considered different ones like a gecko before but when I found bearded dragons that seemed like the perfect type. They aren't too big and they aren't too small. They have certain needs with temp stuff and getting the tank to be the right temp is more of a pain than the dragon. I say if you want one and can afford all the stuff that lizards need and vet care and food then go for it. They are so fun. And awesome. Mine worried me at first because she went nearly two weeks without eating any crickets or anything. But reptaboost is a wonderful supplement to have on hand for a stressed out lizard or reptile:)

You won't be disappointed in my non expert opinion. They are really great. I have only had her since mid August but I loved her as soon as I brought her home:)

4. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

Thanks Cassi!!! My husband is worried about the "square footage" we're losing with every reptile we acquire. I'm ready to move all the "useless junk" out onto the street for the neighbors to pick through in order to get a Dragon... and a Gecko or two.;)

5. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Yes Chinese water dragons are neat too. I almost got one but looking into them more kept me from getting one. Bearded dragons from what most people say are somewhat less temperamental than Chinese water dragons. They are great but maybe better for experienced herps. :)

Ask Thalatte about Tai the Chinese water dragon:)

6. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

I absolutely love the pics you share with us!! Reinforces my decision to get a Dragon. I've wanted one for a very long time too, but never got one.

7. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Thanks! She is so small she fits inside her food dish. It's one of the small bowls that you may use as a cat dish or a small dog lol. I have to try to measure her. She's really tiny. Though she may have grown a small bit because she shed today ;)

8. PogoTheDragon

PogoTheDragon Well-Known Member

I think that they are totally worth it. The pool kinda smells and the live food is expense it but I think that it is totally worth it. They are adorable, loving, and completely friendly and for the most part ( after a little bit of work) totally trusting and loving. U should totally get one, but I would get an older one to start. I know that a lot of people say that, but they eat less live food, are easier to spot if they escape your hands, and are generally more used to humans. I mean u don't have to get like a 4 year old or something like that, but I recommend ATLEAST a year, maybe a year and a half. Good luck!

9. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

Just keep posting pics!! I can't get enough!!!

10. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

I can go get a year old Bearded Dragon tomorrow if I wanted. Sweet little dragon who's been well cared for... they're moving and can't take the little darling with them. The move came up rather sudden. They are asking for a couple of hundred dollars for the dragon, enclosure, and all accessories.. which is more than fair since they've had him for only a year, but I was on the fence. I think I'm just going to go for it.

11. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

You won't regret it :) that sounds like a good deal if you know where the dragon came from and how it was cared for plus the accessories and lights and enclosure and the dragon:) not too bad. So you will have to post pics.

12. B3ll3

B3ll3 Elite Member

They are a ton of work but i love them so much its worth it!!! I wouldnt trade my babies for anything in the world so im willing to go the extra mile for them! Another pro is i started drinking green smoothies and feeling healthier cause i have so many greens for them we now share lol

13. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

I'm still trying to convince hubby that we should do this!!!;|(|

14. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Show him pics! There are plenty on here. I find either seeing the reptile up close, or seeing the pics themselves, often convinces unsure men. ;)

Here's one to get you started:

20130629_122424.jpg

15. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I haven't found mine to be troublesome in the least! They require pretty basic herp care, just the right heat, humidity, substrate and food really, which are all that's required for most herps. Most if not all of these things can be purchased in one go. They're pretty docile and chilled out too so they don't require heaps of taming, and they love to eat so no problems there. I think the only thing that could be a pain is purchasing and setting up a permanent enclosure for them, they can be quite expensive but all in all I find them to be pretty low maintenance!

16. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

Getting closer and closer to making that call... so... would it be wrong to change his name? I can't for the life of me remember what his name is... *blushes*

17. Majora

Majora Elite Member

If I knew how expensive my bearded dragon was going to be to feed as a baby I probably wouldn't have gotten him, but I'm sort of happy I didn't know because I love him so much and can't imagine not having him. I would say that compared to other herps like snakes they are pretty high maintenance since there's just a lot more to worry about, especially with the diet. But compared to cats, dogs, and small animals I think they're so much easier once you have them properly set up. Mine is potty trained and only goes in the bath so cleaning his cage is a breeze, and it's not difficult to buy a mix of veggies for him when I'm shopping. I used to pre-chop his salads for the week but honestly I don't even mind doing that every morning. Great to hear that you're thinking about getting one and giving an older bearded dragon a home!

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

OH MY GOSH!!!! Babies are a huge hassle!
    I thought that after my sadist Tai that I could deal with two little lizards. I mean they couldnt be anymore difficult to raise then Tai was right? WRONG!!!
    The cage set up is simple, the salad is simple, and handling them is a joy but oh my lord do they go through an insane amount of bugs a day. I have spent SOOOOOOO much money feeding these two. And they ate my entire dubia colony out of babies. And all the crickets. And all the phoenix worms. And this week they went through 1500 medium silkworms-no that isnt a typo. Each one eats about 200 insects aday. I thought that since I increased the size of the bugs and that they eat 1/4 cup of salad that they would eat a lot less bugs now but nope they still eat ahuge amount of bugs and I have no idea where they store them. Then of course what goes in must come out...They poop so much and it is stinky!!!!! It stinks up the entire reptile room. And they have 6+ movements a day.
    And of course my adult beardie I have the opposite problems with. She doesnt eat. Doesnt poo. Doesnt move. Yet she is extremely fat. So for some reason even though it is 110F+ outside she has decided it is time to brumate I guess. The vets cant find anything wrong with her so the only other option is she decided to brumate.

And even with all these frustrations I think beardies are worth it. It is true that I have debated getting rid of them on many occasions as I am not as passionate about this species as I am about cwds so I find it rather difficult to not get fed up with the cleaning and costs of these lizards but I think that you would do well with them as you are more passionate about them.

19. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

Thalatte you're making me question my decision to get a dragon, even though I'm geared up to get one!!

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

With only one baby beardy it isnt bad. The costs of food is lower and clean up isnt horrible. But two is ridiculous.
    Also keep in mind Harley is a rescue so she has behavior and diet issues that dont help her slothful ways.

I didnt mean to turn you off I just want you to be prepared for it. With one beardie you can easily feed it by breeding your own roaches and things. Also Stock pile silkworm eggs and food and that will help ALOT!