This Disappears When Logged In

Tito's Potty Training Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by TitoAndKatt, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I may be mistaken when I say I`m not a complete idiot, although I don`t understand why on earth you didn`t have the great dane`s teeth pulled out if you knew he OR SHE was using them to climb trees?? That just proves that
    YOU`RE the silly one Katty, and now everyone`s going to know. I would appreciate it Steven, if you don`t notice my mistakes in the future! ( Thank you.) ;) THese "edits" are good Kitty, they really are!

2. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I think you are confusing him by putting so many tubs of water on his shelf and in his cage. The tub that you are using is also to deep. Forest used to be bath trained but since his teenage stage he prefers to do it in his room. I have already sorted out that problem and he poops now only in a water tub in his room.

Day 1 - scrub his whole enclosure to get rid of any traces of poop scent, especially his shelf. After you have done the cleaning place 1 tub that are not too big that he will fall in, on the exact spot were he pooped last.

Day 2 when he has pooped somewhere else do not clean it, just put the tub right on top of the poop.

Day 3 - he will most probable poop somewhere else, take the tub and put it on the new poop spot and clean the other spot thoroughly.

By the third time of putting the tub on the fresh poop and scrubbing the old poop spot, Forest got the hang of it and only poops in the tub.

3. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Wildheart: I think you are looking at the pics from when I first set up his cage. I still have that tub to help with the humidity but I have tried putting a shallower dish in there on his shelf where he always poops...no luck. That is around when I finally got exasperated and covered the shelf with water. :eek: :p I didn't leave it that way for long. Thanks for your advice, I will try it: but here is a problem: he has decided that his new hammock is s good place to poop... :rolleyes:

4. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Stefan: First, if you will notice, I plainly stated that the Great Dane was a she not a he. Secondly, the last person who tried to pull her teeth out lost their hand...the one who tried before that lost part of his nose and two fingers. You may not realize it but, despite their reputation of being "Gentle Giants," Great Danes are actually quite vicious...as you can plainly tell by this picture. ;)

Attached Files:

5. Ibrahim

Ibrahim Elite Member

heh, calm it down guys no need to be ganging up on StEffanN, his just giving valid options for stoping your great dane climbing trees but a word of advice to you steffann, never become a vet:p. especially with that colour blindness problem your facing :D juust joking steffann ;). Thats a killer picture by the way kat :p
    well, here its common to keep iguanas and other reptiles but unfortunately people here are not educated about these wonderfull creatures at all and 98% of iguanas die within the first month after being bought. You would be shocked with the stories ive heard from how people treat their reptiles here. Sun here is exactly what iguanas need and theres plenty of it, My iguana absolutely loves it.

6. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Please do not share those stories.:( I am glad to hear your ig is outside in the sun! My boy, forest, has an outdoor enclosure 4 x 4 meters with several basking areas and a waterfall. He would live there if he could.:D

7. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Dont worry about the color blindness, it definitely does look green if you do not click on the picture to enlarge it.;)
    [​IMG]

Not all iguanas like to swim, in actual fact, I have not seen one iguana that will take a swim for the fun of it. They only dive into the rivers to escape from predators.;)

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you click on the pictures to enlarge them , Linky?? (Why don`t so-called "friends" tell you you these things, Katty-Kins???) YES of course I can see it`s a purpley/orangey colour now, as I said, Kitty. I`m not a COMPLETE idiot! ( Girls!!, I ask you!! ) ( especially blonde one`s) ( And only 5ft. tall,as well!!) (particularly the short , blonde types that cut their iguana`s nails down to the quick!!) :D:D:p

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Ibrahim, the same things that happen to iguanas in Cyprus happen everywhere sometimes, and it`s such a shame, because it`s so easy to get a couple of books from the library, before buying any animal, so much info.. is available these days, there`s no excuse! Can you put some photos up? Thanks!
    STteFfanNnN :)

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Katt you really can't train reptiles the way that you do mammals. They lack the higher brain functions. The only thing you can do is practice repetition and hope it sinks in.

Its usully more a case of THEM training us!

11. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Try leaving the cage exactly how it is for a few weeks, He may be painting his cage every time you rearrange to say HEY THIS IS MINE.

12. Ibrahim

Ibrahim Elite Member

I totally agree with you Merlin, iguanas will learn with repetition and patience. Its not that the creature is naturally stupid, its just that each animal learns and reacts different to their surroundings. Plus, it ****es me off when people say iguanas are stupid because they don't catch on fast, which i've heard a lot of people say here in Cyprus. Repetition will make your iguana understand that what your trying to teach him will be a routine, and another thing iguanas really cherish is their every day routine. I realized that when I had to change the time and days I used to take her out in the sun, bathing time, free-roaming, etc. due to a new job I got so I didn't have the time to give her a lot of my attention every day, there was a change in her behaviour, but once she got used to the new routine she got to her normal self. I believe in captive iguanas once their used to the area they live in they also get used to the way things are in it and once something changes they are hesitant and prefer to stay away since they don't know what it is or how to use it, until they get used to it.
    I don't know if all that helped or made sense but I tried.

13. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

StEfaN, I think that you have met far too many stupid blondes. Don't judge a book by it's cover. ;) Dynamite comes in small packages... Tito's pooping is becoming rampant. He is now pooping more than once a day (I was told that they normally only poop once a day:confused: ). He has also pooped Outside of his cage Twice now which he never used to do! :mad: Blah!
    Haha He pooped on my couch today. He tends to poop in his food dish sometimes, so maybe I will put food in a smaller dish and put water back in the food dish?

And I haven't rearranged in quite a while. I have Cleaned, but not really rearranged...

14. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

P.S. Interesting fact I learned: The waxy substance emitted by male Ig pre-anal pores supposedly reflects UVA light, which they can then see. The territory marking is not just a chemical thing, but a visual thing too!

15. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Katt are you sure he doesnt maybe have diarrhea? It is not normal to poop so many times.:(

As far as routine goes, only a drilled in routine made my ig trust me and as tame as a kitten. Without routine you are lost!;)

16. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Stefan my friend, how many iguanas have you handled before?

We have to cut their nails and it is only the the tip of the nail not the complete nail!:p

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ve handled different species of iguanas over about 15years, I was joking with Katt, but on a serious note, they have long sharp claws for climbing trees, NOT flesh, I`ve mentioned this previously, there was a "fad" in the U.K whereby any petshop would offer " Iguana claw clipping" this was purely a money-making venture, if you don`t want to get scratched, bitten or tail-whipped at some stage, don`t buy this type of animal, that`s my personal opinion, and I`ll stick to it!!:) Would it be advisable to remove teeth from snakes and other reptiles in case we got bitten? When full grown iguanas can be quite heavy, a fall as I`ve said could cause serious injury, while this probably will NOT happen, I prefer not to take the risk! I hope the owners of the larger animals will also comment, ( even if they all disagree), I will ALWAYS put the animals wellbeing first! :)
    Can I ask how long you`ve been keeping iguanas, you certainly do not "HAVE" to cut their nails Linky.

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

HI Katt, if his "droppings" seem normal, maybe it`s something he`s eaten? My monitor most often "goes" once a day, but there are also times he can go twice, so unless there`s something unusual about the consistancy,smell etc. I don`t worry about it! I agree with Linky, if it`s diarrhea, that`s another thing entirely.
    SstEfFan
    P.S. I think Linky also mentioned about cleaning the areas he leaves his little "presents", if he can smell where he`s been before, that might cause him to go in that area again.

19. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Like I said, it is only the tip of the nail and there is no way on earth that cutting it can interfere with climbing anything.

Plus, iguanas still scratch us all over even thou the tips are cut, the only thing we are preventing is them hooking into our flesh. They hook so badly that you actually have to take the toe and unhook it. Not good for you or your iguana. So cutting the tips is for your and your iguanas best interest.;)

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As I stated before, properly done, there is not a problem with trimming the nails. You really aren't removing enough of the nail to interfere with climbing. Just taking off the very tip that is razor sharp that will slice and dice you.
    My current ig is 9 years old. I have been keeping iguanas since the seventies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.