This Disappears When Logged In

Tito's Potty Training Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by TitoAndKatt, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

What do you guys think of my Potty Training Plan for the summer? Comments, advice, and tips are appreciated! :)

I will have a lot more time this summer than I do during the semester and just bought a new potty tub for Tito since nothing I do seems to convince him that water will not kill him. So, this summer I am going to go Ig Whisperer fashion and (hopefully) manage to potty train him in the 3 months of summer that I have. or at least START the process.

First, I will start with just putting him in the new tub (which is blue, much better than white). If I can manage it safely I might even put it ON his shelf and temporarily remove his hammock (since he always poops on the shelf). I will do this until he get used to the tub and seems okay with it and I can possibly get him to STAY in it. (haha ya right I know :p). Then I will put him in the blue tub in my bath tub (then later, if he slips out of the blue tub, he will still be stuck in the bathtub, reducing my total amount of lizard chasing time). Then, I will put him in the tub dry and add a little water bit by bit. Then I will put water in the tub and then put him in it.

Somewhere in there (maybe dry if I can, but probably not until the water stage) I will make him stay in it until he poops. Then I will take him out, rinse him under the faucet (the only form of water he seems to find bearable) and put him back in his cage or hang out with him or whatever. (Do they respond to treats? Can I give him a little bite of fruit every time he poops in the tub, then wean him off the treats? Or would that be pointless? I am much more familiar with training mammals than reptiles.. lmao :p

What do you guys think? Input?

2. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

treats as a potty training award doesn't seem to work well at least for me. A thing to do is to give him a bath everyday be fore he poos in his cage, let him sit in there for a half hour or so (watching him) to see if he poops in the tub. You could run the shower if he likes that better but clog the drain so it isn't dry.

3. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I tried that. He thinks the bathtub is going to swallow him and hates the shower too. I figured having a colored tub would help. Then if and when he free roams later in life I could ideally put the blue tub somewhere and he will go poop in it.The only way he will stay without going insane is if he sits on my hand or arm in the water and then he spends all of his time trying to climb back up my arm. He will let m hold him under the faucet for a little while, but he only barely stands that.

4. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

try holding him in the tub or putting a colored towel on the bottom, I used to have this screen lid for a 10 gal tank that I put in it had about 2 inch sides, and then the top it was coved with a vinyl paint covering. Kermie could sit on that and be out of the water and then go in it seemed to help her a lot get over fear of the tub.

And you may want to seriously think about free roaming. I wanted that for kerm too, but I am not sure it is the best way to keep a lizard such as an ig so I decided I probably won't do it. however I may some time in the future.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Katt, is the water you put him in heated? 80-90f. is fine, if you`re just putting him in cold water, I don`t think he will stay in there. Does he have a water dish in his tank, I can`t see in the photos? Also what`s the humidity level, and would you be able to put a couple of plants in there, even plastic one`s, just so you can spray them to give a humid atmosphere and a branch for climbing, he needs to keep his claws long, but because he seems to be on carpet ( no problem with that) I`m just thinking it will give him other things to climb on, and also keep his claws from getting too long. Hope it`s o.k. to make these small suggestions Kitty. And later on I think it`s a good idea to let him excercise outside the tank, but under strict supervision. ( of course I`m sure you WILL watch very closely!)
    Stefan :)
    P.S. What time does your "zoo" open, I`ll come and visit!?

6. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

Maybe its just Yoshi but she refuses to poop in water.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Very temeramental, these iguanas!

8. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Yeah temperamental is right! Iggy will poop in her water not the swimming tub water but the drinking of course:mad:, fury pooped in the water tub 1 time and that was it, Junior never does.......I will be replacing newspaper for the rest of my life lol:p

The towel in the tub worked well for all three of my Ig's well it was actually a really ugly bright shirt I had lol, I knew I would find a use for it!

9. Ibrahim

Ibrahim Elite Member

Hey, i don't think you should go through all that fuss. Last summer I taught my iguana that every morning, after ive woken up, she would be taken out of the enclosure and have a bath in warm water. At first she didn't like it at all, after a few times of doing it she got the idea that I was putting her in the bath to poop, once she was done id take her out (if she seemed not to enjoy the water). Now I have a small tub in her enclosure and she uses that, and the drinking bowl for drinking. Plus it didn't take much time for her to connect the two, water in big bowl = poop.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Ibrahim, I see you`re in Cyprus, is it common to keep iguanas and other reptiles over there? One good thing, I think you`ll get plenty of natural sunlight! ( I`m in the U.K, but originally from Australia.)

11. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I have tried the towel idea, but that didn't work well either. And I always put a little rock thing in the tub so that he can climb on that if he wants. He totally ignores it. In fact, if I put him on it, he even jumps off and proceeds to try to escape the tub! :rolleyes: If I put him in something smaller and colored he also tries to escape. He Does have water in his cage. In fact, I wanted him to poop in the water so bad that I put THREE in there - all different sizes and shapes - hoping he would take a, um, liking to one. No Luck there. Even when I covered his entire basking shelf with water dishes, he picked the ONE spot there was not a dish to poop on.

To SteFan, I keep his claws trimmed to save a few layers of my skin, but I keep them long enough for him to still climb of course. And what made you think that he was on carpet? His entire cage is covered in vinyl flooring, except for his ramp o his shelf which I covered with a towel so he could get some traction - he had trouble with the board, it was too smooth. And he Does have branches to climb lol I will probably go dead-tree hunting this summer and try to find some more. Yes the water is heated, I typically have it at about 85 degrees or so. Never much warmer than that.
    Oh yes, and he does get to exercise out of the tank already (yes closely supervised). He does not get much range though - usually the couch, this long table thing I have, or my bed. He will be allowed to go farther when he gets bigger.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Katt-Kitty, I could only see the green colour, so I assumed it was ( reptile) carpet, I don't know why he doesn`t like the water, unless it`s because he`s still only very young? They LOVE to swim, ( or maybe he doesn`t like being told what to do!) I really don`t believe in claw trimming, they have long claws for a reason, that`s to enable them to climb without falling, but I understand it`s not pleasant getting scratched. My monitor is around 50lbs. in weight, but I`ve never trimmed his claws, he could literally tear flesh! They can hurt themselves very badly if they slip, maybe if you wear a long-sleeved sweater or something it would help, I`m not telling you what to do, just thinking of BOTH of you! I`d hate to see him get hurt. Even letting him on the couch etc. is good, it will make it easier when he gets bigger, because he`ll be familiar with the room, but he can easily cause damage by climbing all over, ( Similar to what YOU do Kitty!) :D Don`t give up with the water, hopefully he`ll get the message soon!

13. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Ya, I don't know why he hates it either. Especially because his previous owner said he LOVED taking baths with the kids!!!! (AHHH!!!! Salmonella!!!!) And where did you see green? Are you sure you are looking at the right cage? It must be the lighting if you are, because there really isn't any green in his cage at all: the flooring is like a blue-grey color... As for the nails, clipping them does not affect his climbing abilities any significant amount both from what I have heard and seen. it keeps him from climbing up say, my skin, because he can't make puncture holes as little ledges to grip on haha but he can still climb up my shirts and his shelf and branches and all just fine. I am careful when I clip them too and I have a lot of experience clipping animal nails. Imagine holding down a 130+ pound dog (I weighed about 98 lb then) that is at LEAST twice as big as you who HATES getting her nails clipped...and clipping her nails...
    My Mom always put ME in charge of clipping our Great Dane's nails when I lived at home. :mad: haha All of our animals' nail clipping was done by me actually.
    Anyways, any way to make him LIKE the water again?

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The only way he`s going to get used to the water is if you take all the land out! I`m sure I was looking at the right cage, unless you have 2 iguanas? Your camera must be faulty, or you took the picture the wrong way, ( don`t forget; you ARE blonde, Kitty-Katt) I`m not a complete idiot, far from it, by the way, is shiiva answering to her name yet Kitty?? :D:D:D
    ( Don`t give up!) Did you trim the dog`s claws to stop him climbing trees??:D:D:D
    StEffanN
    P.S. At least you`re right about the kids possibly giving him salmonella, I hope YOU won`t do anything like thatt katt.

15. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

haha Of course I won't! Though I have shpwer shelves and I let him sit on there once while O took a shower thinking maybe I he had something to grip, was up higher, and not sitting IN water, but rather being slightly sprayed by water he would like it a little better....I was wrong... and I took the pics with my webcam (I lost my camera) so no surprise if they are not very good.
    and yes, our Great Dane had a huge tree climbing problem. She would climb up the tallest trees in the neighborhood and we would have to call the fire Dept. to get her down! We finally got tired of it, as did the Fire Dept, so we had to start clipping her nails. It solved the problem...until she learned to pull herself up he trees using her teeth... :p ;)

16. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Hahaha! I trim my cat's nails. Otherwise I end up with some really bad scratches. It never hurts their climbing ability.

17. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

I have to admit its probably not the camera that's faulty on the color of the picture. It's The computer screen. LOL I work for a printer and get custome'sr all the time but it doesn't look like my computer screen. :D

18. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Hahaha YES! So MEH to you seFaN! ;) :p lol

19. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I think Stefan might just be color blind cause I see everything just fine ;):p

20. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

haha thanks Shwk! (double Meh to setfAn ;) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.