This Disappears When Logged In

Tips For Raising Overall Temp

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by GoldenGoat, Feb 21, 2018.

1. GoldenGoat

GoldenGoat Member

I have a leo and a corn snake, and while the warm ends of both their tanks are at the proper temperatures, the colder sides seem to be juuuust a little too cold. I think this may be contributing to why my leo isn't eating much as well as why my corn is pretty inactive.
    I've tried using a heat lamp, but that raises the warm side temperature close to 100F which is way too high for either reptile.
    Other than increasing my entire room temperature (poor insulation aka would cost an arm and a leg), any tips for raising the cool side a few degrees?
    For reference both are currently in 20gal tanks, temps being measured with a heat gun.
  2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

What are you using for lids? If you have screen tops, replacing those with solid tops would likely help a bunch, if not totally cure the issue. Insulation foam, typically 1/4" fan-fold, cut to size and attached to the outside of the tanks, is another good option. It can be painted with water based paint if you don't want to stare at the bright pink, blue or green color of the insulation itself. Leave the front open for viewing, and cover the back, sides, top, and even the bottom not including where the UTH is, and that can make a huge difference.
  3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What is the temperature on the cool ends?
    And you are aware that tempguns only measure solid surfaces and not air temps?
    AmityReptiles likes this.