This Disappears When Logged In

Timor Monitor Cage

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by oakensiren, Nov 14, 2018.

1. oakensiren

oakensiren Well-Known Member

Hi, i finally received my custom built cage wich will house a pair of timor monitors next year but have a few questions.
    20181114_191132.jpg 20181114_191034.jpg 20181114_190952.jpg 20181114_190920.jpg
    The inside area is 61" x 49" x 26" (L x H x W) or 152cm x 125cm x 66cm (L x H x W) i will probably add a foot of bio active substrate and plant it.
    It is already sealed but since i dont know what they used to seal it i will probably seal it again. What should i use to seal it? And how many layers?
    What lamps would you recommend te keep a stable temp? (Yesterday the temp was in the middle 60s and today it droped to the low 50s and it can drop as low as low 20s while during summer it can go up to 120f (outside temperature)) so im ok with using different lamps during winter and summer.
    What uvb lamp would you recommend? I can add it inside the cage or over it (or inside while the plants grow and then move it over the top).
    I know screen tops and monitors dont mix well but it is made so i can easily cover it if needed, i decided to have it with the screen top to keep it from over heating in summer and to be able to put lamps on top if needed without affecting uvb received by the lizards.
    I want to add a water feature (fish tank with filter and heater) that should be 23" x 1' x 26" or 60cm x 31cm x 66cm (L x H x W), would it be a bad idea? (If so, why?).
    Thanks and sorry for asking so many questions

2. oakensiren

Btw i will use the lower half to start breeding crickets, dubias and mealworms, any other easy to keep insect you would recommend to breed in there?

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Yes, first finish it off by closing in the top. An enclosure that size will not overheat unless you are in a tropical area and have no air conditioning in the house. I'm making a guess that you're not stating by the temperatures you are currently having.
    A bigger worry will actually getting enough heat in there and maintaining adequate humidity. A monitor enclosure with a screen top is referred to as a "deathtrap".
    Put all the lamps inside, not on top with holes cut out.
    As an added bonus, you won't find escaped roaches in your bed :)

Since we don't know what it was sealed with, we can't really comment other than to put more on. Using a different product will not likely had proper adhesion over top of what was already used.
    Silicone all corners especially at the bottom where the substrate is going. I assume you will be building some kind of substrate dam to hold it in.
    I would actually line it at the bottom with some plexiglass or something to protect the wood. You could also use a large rubbermaid container if you can find an appropriate size.

For heat you are going to need a ceramic heat emitter or a heat panel on a rheostat as well a probably 2-3 basking bulbs in a series.
    Trust me I have built many different size and you will under estimate the heat required.
    The bulbs I would do 60 watt and putt on a dimmer so you can control them.
    Just a guess as you will have to try it out and see if you can achieve the desired temps.

Larger habitats are great, but they can be difficult to setup. Do it with heat controls so you can adjust everything will save you a lot of headaches down the road.
    Be sure to try it out well in advance before putting the Timor in. They are nervous enough as it is without you messing with the habitat for a month as they try to get settled in.

I'm not the only one with experience around these parts so I'm sure you'll get more advice.

Ask away.

Darkbird and oakensiren like this.
  4. oakensiren

20181127_182154.jpg 20181127_182238.jpg are this bulbs ok along with ceramic heat emitter in the basking spot?

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't use pet store bulbs for anything but UV, and most of the UV bulbs generally available aren't that good. For basking, go to the hardware store and get outdoor halogen flood bulbs. You will have to do some experimenting with the number of bulbs and the wattage, and the distance to the basking surface to get the right temps, but those will last a lot longer than the pet store bulbs and are generally a lot cheaper.

6. oakensiren

Thanks, i suppose i should wait to have the enclosure complete before checking light and heat. What would you recommend as a good uvb bulb?
    As for the cage, i was told it was sealed with non toxic wax, but they didnt tell me more than that.

7. kriminaal

Wax? That's a new one for me. Probably a quick rub on coating.
    For the humidity requirements you'll be providing I can't really say if that will hold up.

oakensiren likes this.
  8. Darkbird

For UV I either use self ballasted mercury vapor bulbs, or arcadia t5 florescent tubes. The Arcadia tubes last the longest and seem to have the best output, just stay away from any coil type compact florescent bulbs. The UV output on those is terrible.

oakensiren likes this.
  9. oakensiren

Couldn't find the arcadia tubes (i live in mexico) so think i will go for the mercury vapor bulbs, will keep looking for arcadia bulbs until i finish the setup.

10. Darkbird

Yeah, I noticed that after I posted. Not sure what your options are down there, but here's a link to the US based online supplier I use. Arcadia UVB Fluorescent Bulbs You can at least look through what they have, not sure if they will ship internationally or how much that might add to the cost, but with enough searching you might find a dealer down there. I will say that this brand is not normally available in stores anywhere I've been.

11. oakensiren

Apparently it is made of mezquite wood wich can last some years in the open without problem so i hope the wax(?) is enough

12. kriminaal

Interesting. That would be a wood species I know nothing about. Don't have them way up here in Canada.
    If the corners are siliconed, it sounds like you should be fine. Perhaps that's already done.

13. Darkbird

Ask your builder if it can remain nearly soaking wet for an indefinite period of time, if the answer is no then you'll probably need to take other measures. Constant humidity levels above 50% will wreak havoc with some finishes.

kriminaal likes this.