This Disappears When Logged In

Tiger Salamander Setup Help

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by resturtles, Nov 28, 2012.

1. resturtles

resturtles Active Member

Im planning on getting my first tiger salamander for Christmas. I know what how I'm going to set him/her up, however, I am hoping I can do an living ecosystem with live plants and springtails for the purpose of making more natural and not having to change the substrate as often. I was wondering if this is safe for tiger salamanders, and what the best substrate would be for it other than the hydroton/substrate barrier, and would this minimize the amount of substrate changes?

2. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Lol forget the plants. Tiger salamanders are little bulldozers. They will distrory anything you plant-if you put them in little pots too tall for it to climb up it might stand a chance. Tigers are like cresties, very easy care. If you put a lot of substrate in there and spot clean from time to time you can just mix the soil up no need for tons of changes. I use a cocohusk/organic topsoil mix in mine with no springtails or any helpers and they're fine! Some don't like hides, some do. Provide just in case. A shallow water dish should be provided and changed often. They're skin is sensitive so I use a water cleaner that gets the chlorine out of the water before I spray/soak my substrate. Never had problems both Sally's are in perfect help for about 3 years now.