This Disappears When Logged In

This Sunday Night on Animal Planet 3/14/10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Og_, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

There are two back to back shows that are going to be shown on animal planet that will be portraying reptiles in a scary light.

(1)
    8:00 pm(EST)

"Killer Aliens"

TV-PG (V)

"Welcome to America's Invasive Species Ground Zero: Florida. Killer Aliens on the Most Wanted list? Giant rats, lizards, feral hogs and lethal pythons."

(2)
    9:00 PM(EST)

"Fatal Attractions"

TV-PG

"Man lived with seven large Nile monitor lizards in his small studio apartment, and woman shared her home with more than 20 venomous snakes and lizards."

The program descriptions are from the AP website.

I doubt anyone watching these programs will walk away with a positive attitude towards herps! But should they?

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I'm not surprised- I recently was approached on this sight mind you, by a producer from Animal Planet. She said she saw my signature with all of my animals on it and asked me if I was interested on being on the show they were planning. Turns out, it is a show about animal hoarders!!! I explained I use my snakes for educational purposes and I also run a rescue/removal program out of my home. Long story short- since I was not a pet owner who couldn't afford vet care and didn't have family problems directly contributable to owning multiple snakes, the producers/ powers that be decided I was not a good candidate for that particular show. Now- don't get me wrong, they did say they were willing to help with spay/neutering for mammals, food and to some extent veterinary bills- so they aren't completely despicable, but it does make me wonder how long before Jerry Springer starts hosting shows on AP. If anyone out there reading this IS interested in getting assistance from being on this show, PM me and I will get the lady in touch with you. From my understanding, they are not trying to get anyone in any trouble and they won't report anyone to the police so, there it is- if you are interested in "15 minutes of fame" so to speak, I can put you in touch with the people who can do it. Sorry for the length of this post and Og, I wasn't trying to hijack your thread- if I did, I apologize.

3. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Only childrens shows portray animals as nice and their owners as professionals!
    The rest push for what is outrageous and tittilating! It's entertainment not reality!
    I wish AP would read this thread and chime in!

4. Mindy13

Mindy13 Active Member

So I was just watching Animal Planet, and funny enough, it looked like the animal version of Jerry springer. Most of the animals on the commercial were fighting another animal. Because all animals are vicious things.... yeah, right.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Lets face it. The reason that they show these things is that it appeals to the dark side of our nature. Shows with little pink bunnies merrily hopping around in flowers don't draw ratings and so don't generate advertising dollars.

Its been that way forever all the way back to the Roman colosseum where they put on spectacles invoving animal to animal combat as well as human to animal.
    Its really no different today. People don't watch car races to sit and watch cars go round and round in a circle.
    They watch them to see crashes!

6. Mindy13

Mindy13 Active Member

:) Very true!

7. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I watched the second show about "Fatal Attractions". In seemed to be an expose' on animal hoarding. David McConley, I believe they were contacting you on this very show, So you didn't hijack anything.(I didn't care if you did.)
    They even had a person giving the psychological breakdown of these people.

They went on to compare people who have multiple reptiles as somehow being the same as the stereotypical CAT lady!

They don't realize that having, for example, 5 snakes isn't the same thing as having 5 cats, or 5 of any mammal!
    Reptiles lives are in slow motion compared to our own.
    I would love to have a cat that only had to eat once per week! That would be a wonderful cat indeed! I would only have to be woken up at 3:00 am only once a week!

I did hear one common sense thing from this show. If you have to ask someone if you are over your head in the number of animals that you keep, Then you are!

8. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That lady that David is referring to actually spammed this site with an advert for the show and was looking for people to participate. I didn't realize she had also started sending out Pm's. I removed her post and banned her account letting her know that we don't appreciate spam. Specifically from someone claiming to be from a popular television channel.

9. Midori

Midori Elite Member

I just watched the "fatal attractions'. I found the reptil guy saying it was just 'ego' about them not getting help with their animals very untrue. One of the people they talked about was a lady that sounded like she had serious problems not just with animals but had a true conpulsive disorder with anything she liked.

I just though it was stupid that people who knew the guy with nile moniters didn't call in help sooner knowing he lived with dangerous animals. One day without a word I would have gone to the apartment manager and have him open the door.

I just didn't like the shows protray everything like the pet stores, one reason because the pet store people where not honest about how there are many 'other' pet stores that don't care if people buy the animals and they do not make sure they have everything and know how big the animal gets.