This Disappears When Logged In

This Sounds Stupid, But I'm A Rookie To Snake Keeping But Would Like A Gtp

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by King Ivysaur, Jul 22, 2016.

1. King Ivysaur

King Ivysaur New Member

Okay bros here is my story I am 14 just letting you all know. I have a pet African fat tail gecko and have held hundreds of different snakes out there including a few difficult ones. I have raised a few amphibians but I would like a GTP if not what aboreal snake is recommended I don't really like balls or corns but I love all snakes. I have studied for a long time since the summer of last year and have worked hard and want to know if its possible or to work with an ATB instead.

2. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

I don't own any gtps but I've heard that they are more for an experienced snake keeper. Just about all species of aboreal snake are for the novice keeper. But I'm not one to stop you because I personally have always been fascinated by gtps. Atps are relatively similar to gtps. If I were you start with garters, they come in a ton of colors and are pretty cool. They are defiantly a lot more active than ball pythons. (In my opinion). I would recommend California red sided garters.

3. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

GTP's are very particular about their enclosure conditions. Humidity amd temp need to be strictly maintained. They're pretty much display-only snakes, aside from their bitey disposition and long teeth their tails are very delicate. The bones form a unique ratchet structure and are too easy to break. Personally I'm not a fan of GTP's or ATB's. I prefer snakes I can handle w/out worrying about injuring or stressing them.
    There are other arboreal boas available that are easier to work with. My favorites are the Dominican red mountain boas, but there are also some Haitian species available. Carpet pythons are semi-arboreal, as are a number or rat snakes. If you love the green check out an Asian Prasina or African green bush rat snake.

Here's a couple pics of DRMB's, I have 10 with 2 females that will be dropping litters soon.
    Here's an adult male, he hung out like this for about an hour before I persuaded him to slither back into his enclosure:
    P1070013_zpsd02jjfzs.jpg

One of the adult females, before she was bred earlier this year:
    P1060623_zpsjkjdnmne.jpg

Three year old male, even the belly is red, it will be a couple more years before he'll be mature enough to breed:
    P1060721_zpsw2lzy7pi.jpg

These snakes are rarely on the "ground" if provided with a shelf or other elevated area. As you can see from the pic of the female on the chair they love to climb.

4. King Ivysaur

King Ivysaur New Member

Toddnbecka I thank you sooooo much for your response I'd like to look at the DRMB

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Gtps are the best EVER!!!! They do need experience though. ATB are similar but more aggressive. Set ups are easy if you invest the money first. $500 or more first and $500-$1000 for snakes. Arboreal are not cheap but sooooo worth it. No better snakes! You need research and money. Cheap snakes are wild caught n often die unless under incredibly experienced keepers....