This Disappears When Logged In

This Probably Should Have Been My First Post...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Atroxus, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

but better late than never right? :)

I have been fascinated with reptiles since I was a little boy. I was constantly bringing home lizards and snakes when I was a kid and trying to convince my mother to let me keep them as pets.

Back in the mid 90s I got a rainbow skink since that was all I could afford at the time.(cost of lizard+enclosure+acessories) I spent a few months after getting to know the staff at a local exotic pet store, and visiting several times a week to learn all I could about my skink, reptiles in general and to gawk at and fondle as many of the larger lizards and snakes as they would let me.

After a few months of me being all up in their Business, and knowing that my income was limited, but that I really wanted a larger snake or lizard, the staff at the shop let me adopt a 2.5' long female savannah monitor that they had been unable to sell because she had been bitten on the face very badly as a baby, and had very nasty scarring. They even threw in the wood enclosure/lights, etc that they had been housing her in for like $150 which was practically a giveway. She was a sweetheart, and I named her Funnyface.

From there my collection of pets expanded to include 3 emperor scorpions, a white spotted gecko, and a 9'+ colombian red-tailed boa named Cuddles that had been raised from a baby by my aunt, then passed to my mother, then to me. I had just reached a point where I was looking into trying to get a male boa to breed to Cuddles, when I had to move and re-home my collection since I couldn't bring my pets with.

After that I left the reptiles alone and eventually met and fell in love with my wife(Shell), who unfortunately was terrified of all reptiles. I missed having reptiles, but I was patient, and just last year while getting cat food at Petco I managed to talk Shell into letting me buy a baby bearded dragon "for our son". She literally spent the entire drive home from Petco looking horrified and muttering "Why did I say you could get a lizard??" My son named the baby Anthony, though once "he" got bigger I determined he was actually a she, and we renamed her Amy. Shell surprisingly has grown to love Amy just as much as our cat.

About 6 months ago on another visit to Petco for catfood and crickets Shell let slip the fateful phrase "If you really want one, you can get a small snake" Not one to miss an opportunity, I spotted an adorable baby ball python and decided to get it before Shell changed her mind. I later found out that one upside to Petco is that they often don't realize what they have, as they had sold my super pastel ball python to me for $65+tax. We named her Curly and Shell has grown to like her almost as much as Amy and the Cat, and even started holding her occasionally.

Just before Christmas, Shell and I were at a local reptile store getting feeder mice, and super worms for our pets, and the lady there showed us a small Banana Ball Python. Then came the real shocker. Shell instantly fell in love, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity, so I bought him for her and she named him Loki.

So now I am very much back into keeping reptiles, and planning to start breeding Leopard Geckos soon, and eventually when Loki and Curly have matured will try breeding them as well. :) Here are some pics of Shell holding Amy, Curly and Loki.

Anthony2.jpg shell_curly.jpg shell_loki1.png

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

A great post.
    Reptiles are so fascinating and each species is so different. If people are open to them, they soon find out they are not the scary slimy creatures they thought.
    Arachnids are a different story.
    They freak me out ;)

3. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

I like to look at arachnids...not so much for holding though. Even after having my scorpions for over a year I was still unable to work up the nerve to handle them without heavy leather gloves, and even then I only handled them long enough to transfer them between their enclosure and lidded tub while changing out the substrate and cleaning their enclosure. I even put the lid on the tub despite knowing that they weren't capable of climbing the sides, so I can definitely understand people being less accepting of arachnids than of other pets. :)