This Disappears When Logged In

THIS is really getting old!

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Manhirwen, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I checked on my new BRB today cause when I got him I took a quick look before putting him away and thought I saw something under one of his scales but thought "I shouldn't hold him too long" because I didn't want to stress him. Well today I decided to look anyway because it was really getting to me and found out that this snake has mites. I've already delt with the enclosure by spraying everything down with reptile relief and he's soaking now so hopefully they'll be delt with as fast as the last snake with mites.

Ok, now that I've ranted just a little I'm relaxed about it.:D It's just getting old. Thanks for listening (or rather, reading)

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Well remember the rule of threes! ;) I'll take him off of your hands, mites and all :D

3. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I'm sure you would but mites are not THAT difficult to deal with.:p

4. Brittone05

Brittone05 Elite Member

Can I ask, if a snake has mites and is treated and the viv treated too, will they come back for any reason?

I have been offered a Royal you see, het albino for a good price because after it being boarded for 1 week while the owner was on holiday, it ended up with mites but I am worried that it would be too much of a problem for my first snake?? (I am not a corn snake fan!)

Also (sorry for hijacking your thread Beth :) ), can snake mites be passed onto lizards in the same environemtn or are they ony interested in snakes and then lizards have a different type??

Thank you for any help you can offer :) :)

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Mites can in fact infest an entire room or even house. It's best to treat them ASAP as they can and will "jump" from the cage they are in and spread quite rapidly. Whenever I've had them, I immediately treat the animal, enclosure, and the area surrounding the tank,,,,more so if it is carpet

6. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Britonne05: when you say "Royal" do you mean Python regius? Also, what do you see as "a good price"?
    Mites CAN and DO infest any reptile population, so strict quarantine measures should be followed for 3 months. (the snake being kept isolated in another room. It should be the last tank cleaned or the last reptile held.)
    Mites are a pain, but not impossible to get rid of. They cannot breathe without air, so the best way to get rid of mites on the snake is to put it in a small amount of water for a few hours and using Reptile Relief or Provent-A.Mite.
    The enclosure has to be treated more dramatically: as the mite eggs will not be affected by bleach or normal cleaning.
    See my article here for a summary of all I've read and learned on the subject, including personal infestations: http://www.herpcenter.com/showthread.php?t=7200

7. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

The Suriname RTB that my husband got had mites and they were a pain but not impossible and as of yet we are still watching out for them with it. It was a lot of work, still is to a degree and yes, they can and will infest any and every reptile they can find (but I'm glad I didn't find that out the hard way :p).

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Beth sorry to hear about your mite problem, good luck clearing them out!

9. Brittone05

Brittone05 Elite Member

Thanks for the info. I did mean a royal python (ball python) which I had been offered for £45 off someone - I have sonce spoken to them though and have decided to leave it. they were going to treat the mites I think but I don't like the thought of them being in my house near my other babies :)

Good luck in sorting out your problem Beth - I hope it is resolved as fast as possible :)

10. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I used the Reptile relief on the snake tonight instead of just soaking it because I still saw a few mites on the damp paper towel I used to wipe the snake down. The enclosure seems to be fine (meaning I saw no mites on it today) after I treated it a couple days ago so I think the problem is under control anyways. Hopefully I won't see anymore but I'm still going to deal with it till I know it's over. I think that's the last snake I buy for a while cause this is just a pain. :D

11. Disturbedcries87

Disturbedcries87 Elite Member

dont worry same thing happened to me and just finished a little over two weeks ago. we need more pictures!!! when you feel like it though glad to hear everything is oging smoothly

12. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I'll get you some more pictures probably today when I soak the little guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.