This Disappears When Logged In

This Guy Can Lose a Tortoise...A TORTOISE!

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Anthony14, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

She sure someone didn't steal it ? Lol, I don't know how you lose a monster like that! xD

2. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Oh My Gosh What Great News!!
    YES :)
    Lesson learned I hope?? lol

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yay! glad you found him. Home Depot sells little 6 inch tall fencing for garden edges. Might want to consider that in the future!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! Depends on the terrain. SE Oklahoma is heavily wooded and hilly. It is also a winter camp for a circus. Back in the 70's they lost two of their elephants down there and it took days of hunting to find them.
    A 60 lb sulcatta would be like looking for a needle in a haystack!

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm so happy you found the little escape artist! He must of found another patch of clover to chomp or a near by garden!
    I agree with picking up those little fence things from the garden center, you don't want this happening again!
    Kids are the same one, you look away for a second and they are gone!

6. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Knowing the "rescue" owner and the amount of animals that she has had escape-5 foot white throat, 4 ft nile monitor, countless iguanas including a cuban rock, several snakes including a 13 ft burm...

the torts were in a plastic child play pen, the type that is like a bunch of baby gates linked together,with no bottom, out in a field, knowing that the big torts were able to bulldoze it over, she left them there for days, the torts pushed over the gate and made a run for it, 2 were never found including the 60lb and a redfoot. Problem is her property is borded by erie canal on one side, wooded and marshy everywhere else.

7. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I know someone near me lost her adult sulcata tortoise, so don't feel bad. Of course her situation was worsened when people thought it was a 'lost turtle' and took it miles away from her house and left it by a pond in a public park, where someone probably stole it! Yikes. glad you found yours!

We just found out that Nathan's parent's iguana managed to break through his outdoor cage today(I don't think it was properly locked). They live in a very wooded area with big trees and bushes everywhere. Still searching but honestly I have very little hope. All the trees in the yard are big and connect to the trees in other yards, so he could be anywhere. We are searching as much as we can, but he could easily be on another person's property. I hope someone finds him!

8. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Wow. You are lucky to of found him. Maybe he knows where he is truly safe from the scary things out there....

As for losing an adult sulcata, I believe it. Those things can move when they really have an excuse to. They remind me of a lazy house cat - it will hardly moves at all for a few hours, but once that food is opened, they almost knock you over. 0_o

9. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Lol I think my tortoise was telling me something today, I let him out again but didn't leave him and he started pretty much sprinting around the yard. Never seen him move so quick, guess he was letting me know he isn't so slow afterall. xD

@Merlin - Lol, Elephants...and I thought I had heard it all. :p

@Schlegal - Thanks for the idea, I'll go there sometime this week hopefully.

@Purple - Oh no, I hope Nathan has as much luck as me! I had very little hope too, but I found him. Reptiles seem to have a way to hide in that one place you didn't check everytime. So check Every single spot lol.

Also, It's odd to think people mistake tortoises for turtles. Goes to show the lack of knowledge most people have with regards to reptiles. All my cousins thought my snake was poisonous and the other day someone thought my gecko was an amphibian. >.>

@Missabrat- That doesn't sound like a very reliable person to trust an animal with ... she's lost almost every animal on my wishlist lol. 0_o

@ Everyone else - Thanks for the kind comments, much appreciated and yes, lesson learned.

10. jaaron01

jaaron01 Member

Gald you found him. I came home one day and my 68lb Sulcata had pushed under the Chain Link fence in my yard. Luckly at his size he was easy to spot. Found him a couple of houses down in a neighbors back yard. It was getting close to dark and I just knew he'd climb up under a shrub and not be found till the next day. Needless to say I've know got landscape timbers staked down on the outside of my fence, so he can push through anymore. Haven't had that happen since.

11. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

glad you found your little tort.

i never knew they could be so quick

12. backwoodsgecko

backwoodsgecko Elite Member

Glad you found him!