This Disappears When Logged In

Thinking to Get Bearded Dragon

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by BigBadBaz, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

VERY IMPORTANT! Do not forget to take photos as you progress and SHARE with us! I am all excited for you.:D

2. BigBadBaz

BigBadBaz Well-Known Member

LOL. I was certainly planning on it! :)

BTW, I am planning to cut holes in the top of the cage and put the lights (at least 2) on the exterior. Would this, together with the gap by the sliding doors be enough air flow? Or should I still drill some more holes?

Also, for the first vet visit, what tests should I have done?

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi BigBadBaz, I would drill a few holes in the sides of the tank, about halfway up, half a dozen each side, maybe3/8 or 1/2inch.... I would just take a fecal sample to the vet.

4. BigBadBaz

Argh!!

I bought the lumber and had it cut down to size. Yesterday I applied the first coat of polyurethane and I was hoping to apply the second coat so I can start building on Sunday. But guess what?! It decided to rain again!!!

Argh!!

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You could work under an umbrella... ( I hate getting wet too!)

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

or a tarp.

7. BigBadBaz

Thanks for the ideas, but I think I'm just taking the day off. Maybe I'll be able to get some done tomorrow. Besides, it actually stopped raining but so much of the day is already gone... I'll try to get some sanding done.

8. irean

irean Active Member

I'm about to build a new home for my baby soonish so you have to take a lot of pictures! :D

9. BigBadBaz

Hey guys. What do you think so far? I'm thinking to put a megaray on one side on a timer with the basking spot under, and a heat emitter on the other attached to a thermostat.

Attached Files:

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

looks good so far.

11. hopphaus

hopphaus Elite Member

Maybe you could put the heat emitter in the middle on a thermostat. Bearded Dragons need a heat gradient. They regulate their heat by moving to the part of the environment that is just the right heat. One end would be hot 100-110 F, the middle less hot 90-95 F, and the other end even less hot 75-85 F. I got these numbers from the care sheet, Bearded Dragon Caresheet (Pogona vitticeps), but they are also in the books I have read.

You are in the right place to find these things out. I went years doing many things wrong.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would put both heat emitter and Megaray on one end. That way your light and heat are in the same location as it would be in nature.
    Think open sunshine.
    And your dragon would not have to choose between light and warmth.

13. BigBadBaz

Hmm. I see your points. What I was thinking was to use the megaray as the main source for light AND heat. I would use a high enough wattage to have the temps at about 115 for the basking area, and going down from there. It would be the main source of heat and provide the gradient as you get farther away.

The heat emitter I was going to put at the other end with the thermostat at about 73, just in case the temps drop too far at that end (mostly for night). With this the heat gradient would still be present, but I would ensure the heat never drops too far.

Do you still think I should put them both at one end and perhaps set the thermostat to 100 or so?

Sent from my Palm Centro (so please excuse any typos ;) ).

14. Merlin

In such a case your scenario would be functional. I was assuming that the Megaray you were going to use was the non heat emiitting variety and that is why you needed the heat emitter.

15. BigBadBaz

Hi guys. I gots me another question. :)

I have an old rabbit cage which I am planning to use for my dragon's outdoor use. I believe the holes on the cage may be too large, about an inch to an inch and a half tall (about how wide are 6-8 week old beardies?) and maybe 4" wide.

I understand that screens block UV rays? Are there any which don't (maybe vinyl coated polyester)? Is there something else I can use to block the holes?

Come to think of it, what should I use to cover the holes on top of my cage where I plan to put the lights?

BTW, looks like I'm getting my beardy some time next weeek!! :D

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi BigBadBazz, you really only need the Megaray for both heat and light (daytime), you should get a decent range of temps if you fix it at one side.... I don`t think you need to go as high as 115f..., 105f or so would be o.k. Either infra-red or ceramic heat for nights, (not below around 68f.)
    As far as the babies, they are very small, so you will have to be careful with the size of the mesh you use in the outdoor cage, I think 1/2 inch would be o.k., it should still allow sufficient UVB rays to get through, but keep the dragon from getting out... You can use wire mesh to cover the holes on the top where the lights are going.... Check out the "cage" Merlin made in one of his enclosures to encase the ceramic heat bulb, that would be the perfect material to use...
    P.S. You wouldn`t use a thermostat with the Megaray, because if it gets switched off, it takes a few minutes before it will come on again, (it`s built in), once it`s on, leave it, so long as the temps are o.k., as I said in the beginning, test the temps with normal household bulbs, so you know before you get the MR lamp the wattage you`ll need...

17. BigBadBaz

Thanks. So about 105 for the basking area? (I still plan to use household bulb...) And since my room NEVER reaches below 70, maybe I'll just drop the heat emitter. Or maybe I'll get it anyway just in case. :shrug:

So 1/2 inch wire mesh for outside. But what about for the main cage? Wouldn't crickets etc. (food) be able to get through that?

And the thermostat would be for the CHE, not the megaray.

18. hopphaus

hopphaus Elite Member

I have read it many times on this website that wire mesh at least 1/4 inch is ok. When we got Andrea, she was very small and could have stuck her head through the 1/2 inch. However, she may have been exceptionally small and they grow really fast.

Bearded Dragons are very good first lizards. They are much easier than iguanas, that's for sure.

19. BigBadBaz

Hey. I got my beardie today! I started a new thread with pics here.

I have another question. I'm looking at supplements now. What do you recommend?

I'm currently thinking of Herp-Cal calcium with Herp-Cal Herptivite from reptileuv.com (with a 1:1 ratio as they recommend). Is this good? the calcium is pure calcium and the herptivite hasbeta-carotene instead of vitamin A, so no risk of vitamin a toxicity, but I'm not sure what else is in it.

EDIT: I forgot, I need a good gut loader as well (or do I?).

20. Merlin

Those are exactly the supplements that I and many others use. You are on the right track.
    As for gutloading, just regular fruits and veggies will suffice. There is no need to buy the fancy gutload formulas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.