This Disappears When Logged In

Thinking of Rescuing a Beardie - Few Questions

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by GumDrops, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GumDrops

GumDrops Active Member

So I found a local-ish reptile rescue with a beardie thats 8" long. They don't have a picture or any thing else discriptive about it. How old do you think he/she is? The rescue says they will not adopt out any reptile until they know for a fact it's going to a good home. You must sumbit photos of what you plan to house your animal in. Is a 20G long big enough for a temporary home for that size beardie until I can built the 4x2x2 enclosure I plan on building soon? Do you think the rescue would have a problem IF I notifyed them of my plan to build a larger enclosure, or would they think I was lying?

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I personally wouldn't let a herp go to a new home that didn't have a proper set up.
    A 20g tank isn't going to cut it.

I would start building the cage, call and tell them you are building it with hopes of getting a beardie and once it is done call them again and see if they still have it. If they don't ask them to keep you on a list until another comes through.

3. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Its great you plan on accuiring your beardie from a rescue! but I agree with lacey, get the enclosure ready, before you get the BD, Honestly, there are usualy enough beardies that need homes that if you miss this one, there will be another down the road, people are always trying to find new homes for them, check sites like craigslist, there are often people there who have one that they "outgrew", or vice versa (though watch out for people trying to make a profit off of rescue/breeding on craigslist)

4. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Hi,

I run a rescue and work with a few other rescues. I can answer your question easily, the answer would be no. I have never heard of a reputable rescue who lets their animals go without the proper home already being set up. I think it is great that you are going to a rescue! KUDOS to you!

My advice would be to contact them and let them know that you are interested, fill out any and all paperwork that you need to do, and go from there. If they do not have that particular one, chances are they have a ton on a waiting list to come in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.