This Disappears When Logged In

Thinking of Getting a Snake!

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by SchweitzerM, Oct 6, 2014.

1. SchweitzerM

SchweitzerM Active Member

Hey guys, currently I have a Chinese water dragon, and a crested gecko. I'm thinking of also getting a snake. So far I've got my choices down to either a corn snake or a king snake. I was wondering if you guys have any other opinions on a breed that you think would be good for a first snake?
    I thought of a BP but I'm a little hesitant because of their size. I also thought of a carpet python but heard they were aggressive.
    Thanks,

2. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

Any snake can be aggressive, it's just how you work with them. Some are also more docile than others, so it depends... All 3 of those choices are good for beginners, to be honest. I've heard that depending on the breed of the Ball python, it can actually be a decent size.
    It all depends on what size of snake you want when it's full grown, if you're picky with morphs\breeds, or if you think you can handle the requirements for them. King snakes are very easy, no high humidity required and the temperature is about the same as any other snake. Ball pythons require higher humidity. It's really your choice. Post a couple of the things you're interested in and I'll try & help get you started on your choice. They are the most amazing pets and owning my Cali King is the best thing that could of happened to me. They're wonderful companions :)

3. SchweitzerM

Thanks for your help, I am really leaning towards a king. I also have to be able to feed him only frozen foods for the next 8 months due to living in a student house (roommates don't want live mice/rats).
    I think I'm going to keep an eye out for a black and white banded king as that seems to fit best for what im looking for.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Your probably headed in the right direction. While corns, kings, and balls can all be good starter snakes, balls can have some feeding issues that can be very frustrating for new keepers, where as corns and kings tend to be little garbage trucks all the time. Where balls have the real advantage is when a new keeper is nervous about handling, balls are usually more calm and placid, not tending to be very energetic in their movement. Corns and kings tend to be much more active in a keepers hands. Of course, there are always exceptions.

5. SchweitzerM

Thanks for the input! I had done some reading on BP being a bit difficult with feeding.
    The only other snake I can think of that I might consider is a Kenyan sand boa. What's your guys opinions of them?

6. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

Dark is 100% correct. Feeding frozen to a Ball can be very hard sometimes, as they are very picky eaters. I've never seen someone have an issue feeding frozen to kings or corns. My king does indeed does eat like a truck, and will plow down everything I give him. He has always been on frozen since I had him and has never had an issue. He is VERY active while in my hands, constant moving, and very jumpy, but very docile. Corns are the same in the experience I've had of holding them. Jumpy when you first pick them up and try to jet out of your hands, but once they're in your hands, they're calm, always exploring. Balls are probably the easiest snake to pick up in my opinion. Pick them right up and boom, no problem at all. Again, as Dark said, there are always exceptions.
    If you're looking for a 100% of not eating live, go with a king or corn. As for sand boas, I'm not sure on that at all. They do not get big at all, very small snakes, and that's all I really know about them.

7. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I have about a year old jungle carpet. I've had her since December. She's never struck at or bit me. I have heard they can be quite nippy when they are young, but I guess I got lucky. Apparently they get less nippy as they get older too. I handle her two to three times a week without any attitude. She eats every time I offer her food. I don't have any experience with other species. Wish I could tell you more, but that's my experience.

8. Pituophis

Pituophis Active Member

Have you seen turbo corns?? Half gopher snake / half corn :) That thing would eat you out of house and home

9. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I like the colors/patterns of corns over kings, looking to pick up either an okeetee or a hypomelanistic corn at the show nest weekend. If there's a reptile show in your area I'd definitely recommend going there to find your snake. Much better selection and prices than pet shops IME.

10. Horrorphile

Horrorphile Active Member

I currently own every type of snake that you are considering and would love to offer my two cents. I agree with previous posters that Ball Pythons are by far the easiest of the mentioned snakes to handle. They tend to not flee from your hands as much as corns and kings but the feeding issues that seem more likely than not can cause a bit of stress. The Kings and Corns that I keep are all aggressive feeders and I have never had any issues with f/t food but they are definitely more flighty then Ball Pythons which could be stressful if you are not used to handling snakes. As far as King Snakes go, I have had mixed experiences. Some are 100% docile and some bite everytime they are handled. Carpet pythons typically are nippy as babies but tend to do just fine as adults. they definitely grow a lot bigger than the others you are considering and the bite from a full grown coastal carpet is going to do a lot more damage than any of the other snakes mentioned. Keyan Sand Boas are, to me, an often under appreciated snake. I think they are beautiful and tend be very docile snakes albeit a lot smaller than the other options you are looking at. Hope this helps you decide!

11. SchweitzerM

I wanted to thank everyone for your responses! I ended up getting a reverse stripe black and white king. He is still a baby but so far doing wonderful and easy to handle. I picked him up from an expo as after looking at tons of different snakes there he really stood out to me. I haven't tried feeding him yet since I got him yesterday and am giving him a few days to settle in so hopefully that goes well. He is a very curious guy, I've already found him climbing around the top of his cage(24*18*24) and in his trees. 20141026_150112.jpg 20141026_150052.jpg 20141026_150120.jpg

12. 54bogger

54bogger Active Member

Good choice! Good luck with him, he's beautiful.

13. SchweitzerM

Thanks, I have a question though, I got him on Sunday, a week ago today.
    The guy I bought him from said that he has been feeding on pinkies no problem however hasn't been fed yet this week and that I would have to feed him on Thursday(3 days ago). I've been trying to feed him but so far he hasn't eaten. On Thursday I offered him a pinkie in his enclosure using tongs and he wouldn't accept it. So after doing some research I saw that I could leave it in the tank overnight. However Friday morning he hadn't eaten it so I disposed of it(After a pinkie has been thawed that long you shouldn't refreeze it correct?).
    Then Friday night I tried the same procedure again and still nothing. So Saturday I left him alone all day again and didn't feed him. Today I just tried to feed him outside of his enclosure in a small dish but he still wouldn't eat. Do you guys have any suggestions?
    Also I noticed his eyes going a bit cloudy so he is going to shed soon from what I understand, could this be the reason he won't eat?

14. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

If he's going to shed soon he probably won't eat until that's finished. Definitely dispose of uneaten f/t the next day, it will already be starting to decay by then. If he still won't eat after the shed wait a week before offering food again.
    What kind of enclosure? My new baby corn snake is housed in a sterilite tub, paper towels and aspen shavings. He/she is also about to shed, so I misted the substrate to raise the humidity to around 70% for a couple days. If it's too dry the old skin won't come off in one piece.

15. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Many snakes will refuse food during a shed cycle, so that could certainly be the issue. Just let it finish shedding, and maybe just wait to the next regular feeding day to try again. And yes, if a thawed rodent has been out overnight, pitch it.