This Disappears When Logged In

Thinking of Getting a Cham

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Hedge, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hedge

Hedge Elite Member

ive started thinking about getting a veiled chameleon but was wondering about a couple of things:

1. are chameleons very solitary or are they docile? ive heard different answers from different sources

2. how big should i expect an adult to get and what size enclosure would i need?

i would appreciate any info you guys could give me
    thanks!

2. StoneSour

StoneSour Elite Member

They are solitary, they don't really do to well with handling. They are more of a display lizard.

They can get to be 24 inches thats from nose tip to the tip of the tail. You would need a minimum of 2 feet deep by 2 feet wide by 4 feet tall all screen enclosure. They are wonderful creatures to keep, even if all you can really do is sit there and watch them.

3. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

They are definetly NOT docile! They will hiss and then lunge for your finger. They have teeth like a hack saw! And they hurt!
    You should keep a supply of triple anti-biotic cream on hand for all herp handlings.

4. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

they do get used to humans tho....don't be scared :p

they will even eat from your hand....but they do not enjoy being handled but can tolerate little spurts....chams are awesome!! The key in keeping chams is to not cut any corners in their care....do everything right...all the time ...you will have no hassles...and if you give the proper care all the time it is actually quite an easy routine.

That is the simple trick if you ask me...all it takes is your cham to get dehydrated, unhealthy or sick once and it is very bad news or really hard work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.