This Disappears When Logged In

Thinking About Getting a Snake.But What?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Andyc3020, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I'm trying to decide what kind of snake to get. I've never had a snake, but I have had several complicated lizards so I'm not new to humidity, heating and all of that so difficulty is not a problem.

Here is a list of things that are important to me:

-Able to handle often
    -Doesn't get too big maybe 7-8' tops but doesn't require too big of an enclosure
    -Not going to break the bank. Budget depends on the snake though.. Lets say less than $400, but less than $200 is better.
    -Corn snakes are illegal to own here in GA, so they are out.
    -I don't want a milk snake.

I guess that's it.

I know I know... ball python... which is probably what I'm going to get, but I would also like some other suggestions. I would rather have something a little less common, and the different morphs don't really interest me enough to spend extra on. I was looking into green tree pythons, but it looks like they are not something you want to handle every day :( they are so pretty, and I love their enclosures.

What kind of rat snakes should I look at?

I have plenty of lizards that don't like to be held, so I definitely need something that I can handle.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Don't count out a bp morph yet, for the budget you have you could get a really nice looking two or 3 gene animal. I think a Brazilion rainbow boa might also be an option. Im not a big fan of colubrids so I cant help any on those. You could even get a regular old redtail depending on your definition of what too large an enclosure is.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As was mentioned in your other thread, look at carpet pythons. They are big enough to be a handful but not on the scale of say a boa constrictor.
    They also have the higher activity level of a colubrid, which is quite different than most pythons.

They can be a bit nippy as youngsters but tame down.

4. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Other thread? :confused:

I'll check them out. Thanks guys.

5. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Carpet pythons look pretty nice. I think you may be on to something. I do want something more active if I can.

The brazilian rainbow boas are also beautiful. I can see why people end up with multiple snakes haha.

Both are in budget it looks like. How are these guys for handling?

6. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Ok, I'm already pretty sold on the carpet pythons. I really love that they are semi-arborial.

Just gotta decide on what sub-species to get and to build an enclousre. I already have everything I need :) . Anyone know a good breeder around Atlanta? Too bad repticon was here last weekend and I wasn't ready.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hmmmm maybe I had you mixed up with someone else who was also asking about what snake to get.

8. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Probably. :)

I know this kind of thread is not uncommon.

9. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Looks like irian jaya are nice.

What do you guys think of LLLreptile? I always enjoy their videos, but I think they are in Cali.. I'm in GA. You think that is too far to ship?

Baby Irian Jaya Carpet Pythons

10. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Hey man, i live in georgia too. I havent had any luck finding carpet breeders locally. Thats part of the reason im starting a carpet breeding project myself, i think carpets are an untapped market here. At the colombia repticon there were a total of 3 carpets at the whole show. Two babies of questionable quality and one adult "jungle" that was really some kind of diamond coastal mutt with a little bit of yellow.

Nick mutton is pretty much the authority on carpets in the states. His website is inlandreptile.com. he's out of washington so you'd have to ship, but he has a great business reputation so I wouldn't be concerned about that. You could also try kingsnake.com, but I rarely see carpets their that are really fantastic, aside from what Nick posts.

Carpets are freaking awesome.

11. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Great info Thanks!

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

lllreptile is a great shop but they dont breed the animals themsleves instead they buy them from individuals that breed them so it would be best to ask them who they got the carpets from and then research that breeder.

13. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

^^^

What she said. Personally I stay away from those kind of dealers. Its not that they are bad businesses, but with all those animals coming and going all the time, including wild caught animals, there is a lot of opportunity for parasites and diseases to get spread around. Also you never really sure where your animal came from or how many times its changed hands. Much better to buy directly from a breeder who hatched the animal themselves.

14. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

just checked his website out. Very pretty snakes. I like how he prices each one individually.

the bredls look pretty reasonable and awesome looking. What subspecies do you have?

15. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I currently have a baby 100% coastal jag and a 2 year old unsexed IJ of unknown origin, he has the pure IJ look to him but Im not counting on it.

I have two more 2013 female coastals on hold. Just waiting for my custom rack to come in, then ill pay those girls off and get them here. Hopefully ill also be able to add at least 2 female jungles in the next couple of months, but that will depend on personal finances.

16. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I've heard nothing but awesome things about bredls but never seen one in person, they are not very common. I just love that coastal look (bredls have it too) of the big blocky head on a long, slender body. Jayas are pretty to me (and a jaya is what started my carpet addiction lol) but they just don't excite me the way jungles and coastals do

17. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

the $160 price on the bredls is also attractive. It doesn't look like they get as big as coastals either. I'm ok with a 8-9' snake, but 5-6 is much better.

I'll start construction today on the cage.

18. dylroche

dylroche Well-Known Member

I ordered my CBB Leachianus through lll Andy came extremely healthy and active ate the first day I got him. If you look online at reviews about them to a lot of positive things are said.. He was packed perfectly and had a heat pack with him

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Which is great but lately they have been having issues with some of their suppliers of bearded dragons and various other lizards so its just better to deal directly with the breeders if you can instead of going through a middle man like LLLReptile.

20. dylroche

dylroche Well-Known Member

I do agree with that though! ^