This Disappears When Logged In

Thinking About Buying Frozen Mice Online

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Mrflay, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Mrflay

Mrflay Elite Member

I've made this choice because i currently have 3 snakes, a cornsnake, an anerythristic boa and a ball python. My cornsnake is an adult and is set on adult mice around 3 inches big. My boa is just about 24 inches, and I tried feeding him an adult mouse and it was a success. My ball python is about 18 inches, I've been feeding her fuzzies but it doesn't show much of a lump at all. So I might just buy from rodentpro.com but I'm not sure how long my boa and ball python would stay on the adult mice, so I don't want to order to much and end up not using them. Can someone help and assist me in buying mice in bulk ?

2. Jkbauer13

Jkbauer13 Elite Member

You could breed your own, I've heard it isn't too hard

3. Mrflay

Mrflay Elite Member

I would, If only my parents would only allow it.... I'm barely allowed to even have the snakes I do haha.

4. Jkbauer13

Jkbauer13 Elite Member

Haha I gotcha, I barely get away with my roaches

5. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

The problem with breeding is: 1) having it in you to kill them; and 2) having enough mouths to feed for it to be worth it. With breeders, you generally want at least 2 females, and that would produce tons of mice, probably much too much for 3 snakes. How often are you feeding right now?

6. Mrflay

Mrflay Elite Member

I'm feeding every 7 days, except for my cornsnake I feed him every 2 weeks since hes already an adult.

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Breeding mice is hit or miss. Almost every single litter I have had since November has been small or ate. I have added new mice, changed bedding, added more hides, reduced the number in the colony, started smaller colonys and no big boom! I have had times where I had over 100 pinkys in the tank. Most of the mice I have are related to that group... Plus mice stink :)

I'm having much better luck with african soft furs. I started with 2 3 months ago and am up to 50+ with 2 very preggy girls. I hope to switch the corns to the asf's because they are not too picky, I plan to keep a colony of mice so I can have those if someone is picky.

8. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

So you really need 5 mice every 2 weeks. Yeah, I wouldn't go the breeding route if I were you. Do keep in mind that like any other food, mice do lose nutrients over time when frozen, so you don't want to get too many. You need 10 a month, and four month's worth is the most I would get at a time (to prevent nutrient deficiencies), so roughly 40. Besides which, if you aren't sure if you are going to have to bump up the size, you don't want to overload. Between 20-50.

9. Mrflay

Mrflay Elite Member

Yes I'll probably just end up buying 50 adult mice :)

10. mele

mele Elite Member

I just mad a purchase with them. I was tired of paying $60++ a week on frozen mice. In the long run I will be saving a ton.

I ran into problems :( I ordered around June 21 and I still don't have my mice. I was told the holiday backed them up....understandable. Monday I recieved an email saying they were sent out and I should recieve them Friday...Thats 5 days and temps in the high 90-100. I just hope their not cooked when I get them.
    It will save money if you choose to buy in bulk but buy enough so the shipping fees are worth it.

11. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

If you have friends who have snakes you could always split the shipping ;) I have a couple friends with snakes, one more when baby #3 is ready to go home and we will put an order in together and split shipping costs.

12. Mrflay

Mrflay Elite Member

Thats actually very smart to do !