This Disappears When Logged In

Thermostat???

Discussion in 'Electricity/Wiring' started by SammieLee, Oct 21, 2013.

1. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

I am tired of moving lights up and down (or turning up and down for the one on a dimmer) over my bearded dragons to keep the temp they like....I am pricing thermostats and I have no idea what I need. I need one for the light and I would like one for the Che that clicks on at night. So 2 bearded dragons and 2 thermostats percage......the hundred dollars ones are really not an option but I want ones that will last. I will pay whatever I have too but it will take some saving if they are too much....thank you!!!

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Some thermostats come with more than one plug, meaning you can plug in multiple devices.

Look into the zoo med repti-temp. It will regulate multiple devices at once.

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I've used the hydrofarm brand thermostat on a couple of cages. Its actually made for seed mats but works well for reptiles. Look it up on amazon, should be about 25 bucks a piece. For the application you are looking at I don't see any reason not to go with a simple and affordable stat

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I Use the Bah-1000DC. Big Apple carries one. I'm not sure if I have this exact one or if it was another brand(i'm at work so can't recall)
    But I use it on my ceramic heater to keep up my base minimum temperature. So far it seems to be working well. have had it for about a year.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I vote herpstat2, at least as far as what I consider the best choice. Have to admit though, 2 hydrofarms would be cheaper. Nice thing about the herpstats is that they are proportional, so they adjust the output power, rather than just turning it on and off. This is a lot easier on incandescent bulbs.

6. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

I have six snakes, two thermostats. One snake is kept alone (quarantine) so she needs her very own thermostat. The other five have one thermostat. I only has one plug. I put the thermostat probe on one if the heat pads, and I set the temperature to what I need it. Then where you're supposed to plug in the heat mat, I plugged in a power strip. And my heat mats are plugged into my power strip. Saves a lot of money, but just to be safe I purchased ten more thermostats from eBay. I use the Hydrofarm thermostats that other members talked about.

7. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Thank you all! I didn't know I could plug more than one thing in to one......guess that would be a better option :) Will be looking in to all these and picking out the best one for our house.

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I use hydrofarm thermostats also. Very accurate I like them a lot.

9. Darkbird

The only thing to remember when plugging in more than one thing into a single output t-stat, via a power strip or whatever, is that your only going to be going by the temps where the probe is. This is fine in things like racks or where you have identical cage setups, but may not work well otherwise. Regardless, remember to check all heat sources separately to make sure they are at the correct temps.

10. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Agreed with darkbird. You really should have separate due to only one probe.

11. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

All my setups are the same, and all the cages have their temps monitored. If I see any irregularities in temps I watch it closely and adjust things if necessary.

12. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

i know you want set and forget, but for around $7 you can make a dimmer outlet. as long as room temp stays the same you are good.

13. SammieLee

SammieLee Elite Member

Good point.... I was thinking I could set both dragon basking spots on one and try it....I will have a thermometer in there too and watch and see how it goes....is that a bad idea? They will be in identical enclosures stacked.

14. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Stacked could be another issue with that. Heat rises, so unless they're insulated........ Something else to look at.

15. Darkbird

If heat becomes an issue due to the stacking, you may be able to just stick a couple/few strip of wood between the cages to create an air gap. Would probably do a lot to control heat transfer.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

However you cannot be there watching it 24/7.
    If the heating unit in the tank with the probe stops functioning, the 'stat will keep the heaters in the other tanks running full bore
    trying to heat a cage that cannot be heated.
    So they over heat.

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

However you cannot be there watching it 24/7.
    If the heating unit in the tank with the probe stops functioning, the 'stat will keep the heaters in the other tanks running full bore attempting to heat a cage that cannot be heated.
    So the others over heat.