This Disappears When Logged In

Thermostat?

Discussion in 'Controls' started by Versicolor, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Versicolor

Versicolor Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a thermostat to use with my milk snake's enclosure. I've never bought one before and I'm low on money, so I was wondering what the best ones would be. I was looking at this one; Amazon.com: Zilla 11939 Temperature Controller, 1000-Watt: Pet Supplies
    Has anyone had good results with it or another you would recommend? I'm clueless when it comes to stuff like this.
    Any and all answers are appreciated! Thank you! :)

2. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

You could use it fine, though i would recommend getting a digital thermostat just because its easier to set the temps to the correct range.

3. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

I use the Zilla that you linked! Love it. It is dead on. Stay away from zoo-med. I am 0-3 with them.

4. Turner

Turner Elite Member

I dont use a thermostat but i use the thermometers with a probe. I stay away from zoo med. I had 2 uth over heat and spark and crack tanks, and i have on last resort bought zoo med thermometers, and I F-ING HATE them!!! Just what I've learned.

5. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

I have two on a 40 gallon aquarium and haven't had a single problem. Did you setup the heaters up with an air space? Did you get water in the tank?

I use mostly Zoo Med products and I've never had a problem with anything. In fact, I'm using their 500R thermostat and like it too. It's simple but it works. I plugged it into a timer, so it shuts off my CHE for a night drop. I have some Zilla products that I really like too, so I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I have one as well. They are a great controller in my opinion. Not accurate for incubators but work great on enclosures.

7. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Here's what I use. It came from China, got here in a week, and works great. It's only rated for 5 amps, but with 120 watts of heat, that's only 1 amp roughly. If you need to run more than 400 watts of heat, you can always wire it to a relay. I like it, and plan on using them exclusively.

http://bit.ly/14J8WJK

8. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

In my opinion, you can't beat it for $20.

9. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I've been using zoomed UTH and I've only had 2 burn out and that was only after over a year of use. I've had no issues with them. they didn't spark or anything simply stopped working. Considering the ones in my chondro enclosures are are on 12 hours a day i think they're pretty good.

10. Turner

Turner Elite Member

It had air space and it was on a leo enclosure so i didnt keep water except in a dish on the cool side. I have no idea what did it. But i was not happy.

11. Versicolor

Versicolor Well-Known Member

Alright, thanks guys :) I think I'll poke around for a digital one at the pet store, and if they don't have any I'll go ahead and order that one. Thanks again! The answers really helped. As well as the bit of Zoo-med bashing, nothing like a some of that to lift spirits. :)