This Disappears When Logged In

Thermostat Probe Placement

Discussion in 'Electricity/Wiring' started by Whnthsungoesdwn, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Whnthsungoesdwn

Whnthsungoesdwn New Member

Hey all! I need help figuring out where to place my probe for my thermostat. When I put it where my boa basks, she knocks it off and then it isn't accurate. I've tried taping it and using suction cups but she's a big girl and just pulls the wire off. Any suggestions on how to get it to stay put? Thanks!

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

What are you trying to control? The basking temperature?

3. Whnthsungoesdwn

Yes I am

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I use aluminum tape and it works great. Where are you trying to place the probe? Is it on the side of the wall, glass, floor, etc? With the aluminum tape I tape about 3 inches of the cord directly below the probe itself, so that the probe isn't covered at all. (I fear the tape would heat up and alter the actual temp.) this method keeps my temps within 3-5 degrees when spot checked with my temp gun.

5. Whnthsungoesdwn

I am trying to place it on top of her hide/basking area but it doesn't lie flush against te back of the tank so when the probe makes the "L" to bend to rest on top of the hide she puts her head under it and pulls it off :(

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Can you run the probe along the side down to the ground hen up the side of her cave? This should make everything lie flush as long as the hide doesn't move.

7. Whnthsungoesdwn

Her hide can move but maybe ill try that. Thank you!

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Tape the hide in place as well.

9. norwegn113

norwegn113 Well-Known Member

I thought tape wasn't a good idea to use inside a snake cage?

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Unless Rich is talking about another product, the aluminum tape is designed to use in duct work for central heating and air conditioning ducts. As such it will withstand a greater range of temperatures than regular tape. It's pretty tough stuff.