This Disappears When Logged In

Thermometer Suggestions

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by monkeytechahoo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. monkeytechahoo

monkeytechahoo Elite Member

I'd like advice on what type of thermometer to place in an aquarium for a python or boa. We're researching on which snake to get and I was wondering what was a good/popular brand.

We use this type for our gecko and beardie cages

Acu-Rite 00891 Wired Digital Thermometer with Hygrometer and Clock

but I was wondering about the probe on the end of it possibly being a problem. Our beardie will lick his once in a while, geckos just ignore it.

We have a 29long to start with and then a 70gal to end with.

Thanks. :)

2. missa6849

missa6849 Guest

I dont have any snakes but for our lizards and frog we went to walmart and got a thermometer/hygrometer for 8 dollars. it works well.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I use similar units. The probe end itself is not an issue. However you will need to secure the wire so the snake can't get tangled in it. I just run it down the inside corner of the cage and velcro it into place

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I have that exact model, works great.

5. monkeytechahoo

Thank you :)

6. okiron

okiron Elite Member

Same.

7. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

bought a thermometer/hygrometer for 9.99 at home depot. It runs on a single AA battery and works great. My only complaint is that my ball python has made moving it around and knocking it over her favorite past time...

8. monkeytechahoo

Thank you again :)

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, if you get some double sided tape you can stick it on the back wall of the tank a few inches up from the ground, I don`t think the snake will dislodge it, obviuosly you will need to replace the tape when you change the battery.

10. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

thats a good idea, thanks

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Instead of double sided tape, try velcro. One peice on the tank wall and the other peice on the back of the thermometer.

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Velcro