This Disappears When Logged In

Thermo-Hygro Placement

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by akbaby907, May 19, 2014.

1. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

Hey all, I've got myself a combo thermometer and hygrometer but with only one probe. I can't figure out which should be the best placement for the probe, or maybe should I move it around a couple times a day to read the areas? I've got a 20 gallon long tank with a hot and cool spot, I've placed the probe in the middle near the hide my boa stays in most often for now. Just curious as to others opinions on placement. I am planning on upgrading to a better enclosure, the glass one is all I have right now, and hopefully another reader soon. This is for my Central American boa.

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

well if it is a single probe then the probe is the instrument that senses the heat and humidity.... so it should be placed in the center of the cage.....

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It will depend on the brand. With some of them the probe only measures temperature and humidity is registered on the base unit.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Most I've seen measure the humidity in the base unit, although I believe it's zoomed that makes one where all the sensors are in the probe. The probe can be used in a number of ways, placed on the hotspot to check that, or really anywhere you want a temp reading.

5. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

I've got the exo terra brand. I believe the all the sensors are in the probe, the humidity measure changes when I move the probe and not the base unit. I'm gonna grab a second one, maybe a different brand, so I can monitor more closely rather than move the probe around so often.