This Disappears When Logged In

Thermal Gradients in a New Cage

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by CryHavoc17, Oct 21, 2013.

1. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Alright guys I need to pick your collective brains about something. I upgraded stryker, my sub adult irian jaya into a new cage today (see my thread in the carpet forum for more details). Of course I came upon a completely unexpected problem. His new cage is sitting flush on top of my ball python's boaphile. Here is the issue: the ball pythons radient heat panel is mounted on the left side of her cage, and stryker's hot side is wired to be on the right side of his cage (basking spot is currently a thermostat controled CHE). When the RHP below his cage is on it conducts heat all the way through to the bottom of his cage, heating his cool side up above what I'd like. Currently his "cool" side is going to 85 degrees ambient. I feel like this is not an adequate gradient, especially because stryker overall perfers cooler temperatures and doesn't bask very often

First off: how big of an issue do you guys think this is?

Second: any advice on how to fix this without having to rewire the cage so the hotspots match up?

PS I'm posting this under general snakes because I really don't feel like this is species specific and any snake people's advice would be appreciated

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Can you find a way to lift the new cage of the other. If you can create an air gap of maybe and inch or so then perhaps the problem can be fixed that way.... All you would have to do is find a safe and secure way to hold up the four corners. Bricks or tiles of some sort....

I prefer mine have a cooler side of 80 or so... even 79

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Joey if I did that would weight distribution be a concern? The boaphile is sturdy, but the top cage is extremely heavy. I guess I could flip flop them and do the boaphile that way, its significantly lighter

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

May be better doing that then if its lighter. Let us know what works out. Good luck!

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

You would also be putting the problem radiant heat panel on the top then, if I'm understanding the setup correctly. Then it won't heat through to the other cage.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Or you could just put a piece of Styrofoam between the cages as an insulator.