This Disappears When Logged In

There IS Something Wrong!

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by wildheart, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I am sure Forrest is fine, but you shouldn't ignore your maternal instincts either. ;) If you are worried take him to the vet. It will cost a bit, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

2. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

kermit likes to snalt when i lean in close to check to see if her nose is stuffy or her head needs to shed or for whatever reason. Then she nails me.

3. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

In my humble opinion, these are clearly signs of First Heat.

Rest easy dear Linky. Your iguana is going through a tough time and it is taking its toll on you. Hopefully you will survive it, I'm quite sure he will. ;)

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I don`t think we`ll ever see the day when Linky will "rest easy", unless miracles really DO happen!

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL IN fact the ig is probably laughing when you aren't looking!
    Typical teenager....gives mama heck!

6. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

There is nothing wrong with taking it to the vet, in fact I kind of believe it is what you both need right now. You to have your nerves settled a little, and to check if anything is wrong. And him, going to a new environment will possibly calm him a little (he will probably shut his mouth once he is there to spite you). Besides nothing is wrong with a check up... rarely does anything bad happen there and times can happen to find something that could grow.

7. jfogle78

jfogle78 Elite Member

They will eat their own poop if they do not have enough bacteria in their bellies. There are several brands you can buy of beneficial bacteria.
    Nutri-bac
    Bene-bac
    I'm sure some one else knows of some.

8. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I use Nutri-Bac. It is supposed to eliminate salmonella in the feces as well as increase beneficial bacteria in their gut. I bought it from the same website that sells the MegaRays.
    NutriBAC df - ReptileUV

9. BenWLundy

BenWLundy Active Member

I would say it's never the wrong thing to take you baby to the vet. Throughout the past year (I adopted Qwanzii in July 08) Qwanzii and I have been to the vet so many times that he probably knows the way and could drive us there. Granted, the majority of those visits turned out to be unnecessary, for Qwanzii's sake anyway, but I do understand the peace of mind that comes from a professional assuring you that you are doing things right and your pet is fine. Most of what you are describing sounds like the same behaviors Qwanzii demonstrated during his breeding season. He didn't eat his poo but he did everything else your describing. Please keep us posted as to how your baby is doing.

10. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Ok so I found out on my return that my vet has left - for good!:( I do not know of any other herp vets around here, still searching.

I will take a photo of his mouth tonight to show you. His mouth stays open when he sleeps as well. :(

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It`s been a few days now Linky, he may possibly have done some damage to the jawbone.......What a pity about the vet having gone. I would think ANY decent vet would be able to check if there IS some damage to the jaw? (Just to put your mind at rest).....

12. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Does the vet's office have an suggestions of other places you can try? Or if they don't know any other good vets, maybe they will get in touch with the vet and ask them for recommendations to give you?

13. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

My vet left the country.:mad: I phoned around with no success and then yesterday I drove around from the one pet shop to the next to find out who they use. I've got a number that I must phone at 11:00, this vet might know something about igs.:(

Forest hurt his nose outside on the 6th. The ouch is basically gone but his mouth stays open since then.

Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
    Click to enlarge, it REALLY looks painful!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And of course he had to be funny in between.
    [​IMG]

Do you think this is just damage from him scrapping his face or do you think it is something else?

14. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I got hold of the Doctor and arranged with him to meet me at my house tomorrow at 9. I also want him to look at my Labrador that's why I arranged a house call. I will afterwards take Forest to his rooms if he thinks its necessary.

I still want your input thou, incase this vet does not know anything about igs and then at least I would be able to tell him what experienced ig owners think.

Thanks.;)

15. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm not an experienced ig owner, but it really just looks like nose rub to me. Its possible there is something deeper in there and could use a round of antibiotics...

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`d agree with Liz... it looks like it might just be damage to the scale, nothing to do with the jawbone.... (maybe a small piece of the flesh has gone, as well as a bit of scale)...

17. Ace

Ace Elite Member

I think that it is just nose rub as well. I hope things work out Linky! I also want to say forest is such a character I love the last shot!

18. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Oh my gosh! I fell off my chair - broke into tears! MY BABY HAS GOT MOUTH ROT!!!! [​IMG]

....I eventually checked again and saw that you actually said nose rub.[​IMG]

It sounded the same in my Afrikaans mind.:eek:

19. Ace

Ace Elite Member

OMG! LINKY I am sorry that's not what I meant at all! I feel like a real horses *** now! :(

20. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Hie-hie then you must know how much of a horses *** I feel for making the stupid mistake!!! :eek:

Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.