This Disappears When Logged In

The Proper Way to Handle a Monitor Bite

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by fyreangyl, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Snatantula

Snatantula Banned User

Im in the procces of training my ornate monitor rite now wich is going really good and I was playing guitar for him everyday. it did seem to calm him untill he noticed the chrome parts on it and now he associates it with the chrome feeding tongs. So now everytime i pull out my guitar he gets all excited and thinks its feeding time. I would suggest that the object you use to train Is a 1 of a kind object or modify it so it doesnt look like anything else youre monitor mite see at the wrong time.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I take it that reply is to Merlin suggesting holding a cloth with some alcohol in it over the snakes nostrils, so why is that such a terrible idea in your opinion? It`s not half as stressful as holding it under water, or sqeezing behind it`s head!?

3. Snatantula

Snatantula Banned User

alcohol can kill youre snake or damage its pits. If youre snake is a reall jerk and doesnt wanna let go an unexpierienced handler would hold the alcohol rag untill it let go wich could be too late cause it could be letting go cause its dead or passed out with brain damage and how would holding it under water be more stressfull then what it just went through.

Drinking alcohol will work but u dont wanna use a rag a little bit in the palm of youre hand rub it in and cup youre hand over its head it should let go rite away with no possible damage done to the snake. You can also use drops of lemon juice rite in its mouth or even try blowing kinda hard rite in its face, thats how I got a BP off my hand. I forgot hand sanitizer cause I was still a newbie to the hobby. Im just saying that ther is less harmfull ways to get a snake to release.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Apparently you have very little experience with snakes!
    The alcohol treatment is a common tactic used by snake keepers. You aren't pouring it down its throat, only putting a cloth up against its nose to inhale.
    It doesn't like it so it releases in NO WAY does it harm the animal!
    And it is much less harmful that what you are proposing!

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I have a question for you; suppose someone got bitten by a relatively large snake (3metres), how long would they need to hold the head under water before it let go, alternativly, how hard would you need to blow in it`s face? Thanks! ;)

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

O.k, thanks for the reply, my problem would be that I don`t drink, but hopefully blowing in the snakes face would mean it would only hold on for a split second..... (I may seek a second opinion on that tip).... ;)

7. snatantula3

snatantula3 Banned User

Hey merlin answer this question before you bann me for a 3rd time.

Why do you keep bannig me when all im sayin is that there are less harmfuul ways to get a snake to let go?

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You were banned for making vulgar idiotic posts on this site. Not for disagreeing with me.

10. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

Lmfao this thread made my night. As to a snake and holding it under water... I don't think I'd do that. Let me explain. I own a 6 1/2 to 7 foot red tail boa and its a sweet heart. Feeding time comes and yes I feed live ( my snake won't eat per killed or stunned I tried) it don't matter if the rat is across the tank from the water dish (it holds 10 gal) my snake grabs the rat and pulls it to the water before killing it and takes it under to constricting it to eat it and stays under for long periods of time. So I would assume it would excite my snake even more to add water in to the mix of Bing bit. As for blowing you got me f#@$ed up. Ya I'm going to blow in my snakes face to have it let go and try to eat my face. I'm not that daring ugh and the juice might work but I'm good that would suck on an open wound . I keep small alcohol pads in my med kit that I have I my reptile room. I'll use one of those if I get bit.