This Disappears When Logged In

The Plumbeous Water Snake from South East Asia.

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by annarawrr, Feb 27, 2012.

1. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Hi guys! Just thought I'd share a bit of info on my plumbeous water snake Preshuz. I can bet most of you haven't seen a snake like this before! I've made a few posts about him but now I'll try and provide some knowledge about this kind of snake.

tumblr_m01ydqfhlg1qco7kmo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m01ybocwhk1qco7kmo1_500.jpg

The most unique things about these snakes is that they're almost 100% aquatic! They live in and around water, so their husbandry would mimic that of turtles. They do require a basking spot just to dry off at times. They like warm puddles and streams and don't seem to prefer either flowing or stagnant water. They are VERY active and swim around mostly during dusk and dawn, and they're typically curious and very docile little guys. They are not shy, when Preshuz escaped several times before he never hid, he wasn't afraid to curl up in an open area to rest. They don't grow very big, less than 2 feet in length at adult size. Their natural diet consists of fish and amphibians although they will easily take fuzzies in captivity. They are fairly easy to feed and don't often go on hunger strikes like many other reptiles. Physical-wise they are olive brown with a creamy white underside and slightly iridescent scales as you can see from the pictures. They also have eyes near the top and front of their heads, a clear indication of their aquatic inclination as this allows them to peer out of the water without lifting their whole heads. They are rear fanged and mildly venomous. They're found in South East Asia and are endangered in some countries, not here in Malaysia though.

Hope that was an interesting read!

Attached Files:

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Thanks for the info Anna. :)
    Cool snake. Can you take some pics of it's head? The body scales look cool too.

3. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I'll try! He's really fidgety and doesn't stay still easily :p

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

He is gorgeous! Very interesting read, thanks for sharing. It's great to learn about different species of snakes.:)

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

He is a very neat snake! I bet your the only one here who has one :)

6. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Haha I think so! It was really difficult finding husbandry infor on him at first, it took me a week after I got him to find that they're kept in aquariums. I had him on coco peat bedding in the first week (that's what the person I got him from told me, I doubt he was a breeder because he was misinformed on the husbandry and Preshuz was near adult size so was likely wild caught) with high humidity. I would say that caring for this snake would be for the intermediate keeper, although he is a very docile and small snake the tank maintanence makes it slightly more difficult than the care of a corn for example! He lives with about a dozen guppies that he doesn't eat, and a crayfish that I had before I got him. His tank makes a very nice display item too!

7. mld

Has he ever bitten you?

8. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

No... He struck at me once, a long time ago in his feeding tank because he thought I was food, but he didn't bite me. Their venom can cause mild side effects like nausea and headaches, and sometimes a rash in the affected area if you have an allergy. To be honest I don't think I've ever even seen his fangs! He yawns and stretches his mouth around quite a lot but even then I don't see his fangs. Maybe they're just really short.

9. mld

I hope I didn't jinx you! Positive thoughts

10. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Haha I look forward to one day being part of the Bite Club though!

11. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

My old childs python was a bitter!! Oh man you put your hand in his tank and pulled your hand out with a horse shoe blood print on your hand lol!
    So far I have only been bit by one of my corns and that was because he was stressed/mad about the long flight he was on lol!

12. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Aww! Haha I wouldn't want to get bit by a python. Hundreds of teeth! Neither do I want to get bit by my ig but I feel like it's going to happen any day now. He doesn't like me very much!

13. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Very cool, Anna--their temperament sound nothing like the native water snakes we have around here. Northern water snakes wouldn't think twice before latching on to you--I've even had one come after me while photographing it.

14. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Maybe I just have a very sweet snake. It's not easy to find info on captives because they're not common pets, maybe because they're not big or "pretty" like pythons and corns... So most of this info comes from my own experience! I think they make wonderful pets though, they're active and fun to watch. They're also quite clumsy and often fall off arms and branches! Mine once bit and started swallowing his own tail during a feeding. Possibly the most terrifying thing I've ever had to see with respect to herpkeeping!